News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T-4 vs T-8 - New Member

Started by guitar_ed, February 14, 2022, 05:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustADudeInSweden

Quote from: Millerti87 on February 18, 2022, 02:39:29 PM
I was in the same boat as you a few months ago. Ultimately, due to my space constraints, I went with the T4. I wanted the ability where I could stash it away when not in use, and be able to travel with it if needed. I've already been able to take it to my brothers house and do all of his knives when I visited him for the weekend, ..

Yep! Did my sisters knives  ;), got that chefs knife edge better than factory! 8)

Quote from: Ken S on February 18, 2022, 04:38:50 PMWith Tormek, there are no bad choices.

...and comes with a s**tload of fun! I've been experimenting with different angles with "HOUCHO" branded kitchen knives (cheap-ish Japn knife that I got for free).

It's so damn easy to just load the water and grind a new angle in 2 mins to see which works best. My honing skills are still crap IMHO ::) even after watching the Tormek honing video. :o
Getting Jiggy With It

Ukfraser

I hear what ken said about not letting cost be a factor but for me there was another consideration. As ken also says, Tormek is a long term investment and for me it was how much would i get out of it. Being retired i am not sure how many years i will still be using it particularly how frequently i would need to reshape my tools for once they have a good shape, excluding accidents they will only need frequent honing.  From a purely maths basis i could get a t4, se77, tt50 and htk hand tool kit for about the cost of a t8 and i would have everything i needed and more and that should comfortably see me out so couldnt justify getting a t8. Most of my current projects are for garden equipment so they are all rough sawn and never see a plane and only rarely need a chisel (mainly jigsaw, drill/screwdriver and sander)!
My only concern was the t4 meaty enough for my axe and yes it most certainly is.

If i were younger and building all our kitchen cupboards, making beds and a lot of other indoor furniture again, then i would certainly have gone for the t8 but as i only have a few carpentry projects lined up that require my hand tools, the compact t4 is ideal, despite now having a workshop!

Ken S

Timothy,

Your comments reflect some serious life based thought. Like you, I am retired and thoughts of grand projects are in the past. And, yes, most of my projects see a jigsaw, drill driver, and sander. My senior citizen hands appreciate letting the Tormek do the work, but certainly don't need a T8. Considering that I sharpened for many years with my grandfather's India oil stone, my T4 seems luxurious.

Ken

John_B

This thread took a somewhat solem turn. I too am retired. My plan is to check out leaving my granddaughters set for whatever career and college they choose. Beyond that I try and enjoy what I buy not worrying about an eventual end point. It does remind me that I should take some time and teach my son in law how to reload ammunition, sharpen everything and weld. My granddaughters are learning how to cook and bake. When it warms up they will help with smoked meats. They have already asked how to make bacon.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

John,

I do not believe there was an attempt to make the topic more solemn. Speaking for myself, I am trying to focus my sharpening purchases to favor those I will actually use. Some things I purchased when I was younger I would not purchase today. I still like to tinker and have accumulated several spare jigs for that purpose. Years ago, I might have purchased a Baldor grinder. That is no longer part of my life plan.

I was fascinated with Stig's comments about how his sharpening is evolving and becoming simpler. They struck deep notesfor me.

Ken

John_B

Ken, I am tempted to get a belt sander but I have held off for some reason. I have a few hobbies and I have not been upgrading as new things come out. Photography can be a money pit. My only recent purchase was a stone mill. Since wheat and corn are cheaper unmilled it might eventually pay for itself and the taste of bread made from freshly milled flour is beyond compare.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

TireguyfromMA

The other consideration between a T4 and T8 to consider is the duty cycle of the T4 is limited to 30min/hr, the T8 is continuous.  When I found out how much I like getting knives sharp I bought a Ken Onion Worksharp belt sander, which does a very good job for $120 sharpener.  A few weeks after I bought the Ken Onion I saw the T8 on YouTube and had to have one.  I decided to go all in, no half hearted attempts here.  I bought the T8 with a few jigs to sharpen mostly knives, scissors and chisels. Also bought the Japanese Wetstone wheel.  Confident the T8 will go on for many years . I'm pretty sure I'll be passing it on to one of my sons when I don't want to sharpen knives anymore.   Buy the T8.

Ken S

Tireguy,

You will not go wrong with the T8. However, you should know the real story with the T4 "thirty minute duty cycle".
This online class discusses it from minutes 25 to 28:

https://youtu.be/tXO6YejYdck

Ken

Ukfraser

It wasnt my intention to make this thread sombre, but just to share why i eventually decided on a t4 and i have zero regrets about the descision i made.

30 minute cycle time. Hopefully tormek wont read this. When i first got my t4 i spent a couple of sessions of over a good three hours learning on some chisels. I then spent a similar amount of time next day working on plane blades. A few months later I then got the hand tool kits and spent a couple of days, again about four 3 hour sessions on knives, kitchen knives and lots of folding pocket knives and my bowie knife. I also use the scissor platform for freehand grinding of my marking knife and bradawl. A few months later i spent over four hours totally reshaping and sharpening my 2.5lb axe with 20" shaft. In between i have had the machine running for the occasional hour while honing.
I dont use this anywhere near monthly but when i do, it gets some serious running time as i like to spend time focussing on a single task. The only thing i think im noticing is the rubber on the rubber wheel is looking a bit sad and im not sure if this is due to running longer than 30 minutes or because its been stored in a unheated garage. However page 163 of the maual addresses this so im guessing its normal.

Ken S

I never thought anyone intended to make the thread somber (pardon my colonial spelling).

Several years ago, the US distributor for Tormek asked me to fill in for one of their demonstrator s at a local woodworking show. I would be arriving several hours before they did, so I offered to use my personal T7 and T4 instead of them having to ship them. I knew my T4 would probably be running all day. I knew the real "thirty minute duty" situation, and had no hesitation in using my personal T4.

For what it's worth, I have been following every T4 forum post since it was introduced in 2014.I have never read any posts with burned out T4 motors.

Ken

JustADudeInSweden

Quote from: Ken S on February 21, 2022, 06:03:41 PM
I never thought anyone intended to make the thread somber (pardon my colonial spelling).

Several years ago, the US distributor for Tormek asked me to fill in for one of their demonstrator s at a local woodworking show. I would be arriving several hours before they did, so I offered to use my personal T7 and T4 instead of them having to ship them. I knew my T4 would probably be running all day. I knew the real "thirty minute duty" situation, and had no hesitation in using my personal T4.

For what it's worth, I have been following every T4 forum post since it was introduced in 2014.I have never read any posts with burned out T4 motors.

Ken

The first time I used my T4, I probably used it for 45 mins, stopped a few times to try stuff, had  no idea of the 30 min rule,

I think this is a case of Tormek being conservative - the T4 didn't even get warm.

It's a very capable workhorse (IMHO).
Getting Jiggy With It

tgbto

I think Wolfgang addressed it a couple of times, saying this is a warranty issue, but that he's personnaly been using the T4 for hours on end during shows, and that he's never had any issue with it.

The way I understand it, it's Tormek's way of saying "If you go with the T-8, you're covered however you abuse it". Not to imply any sort of risk with the T-4.