News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Total noob making youtube videos

Started by JustADudeInSweden, January 24, 2022, 06:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustADudeInSweden

Hey everyone!

I'm a noob who got a T4 for the new year  ;), I'm making youtube videos of my experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI6Erij5Lk8

my question is at this point (https://youtu.be/bI6Erij5Lk8?t=1083) the water drips on the machine and on the floor... (1) is there a better option so that it does not make such a mess and (2) what are my chances of causing a short circuit by dripping water on the machine?

Thanks!

Getting Jiggy With It

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Ryan.

The most common cause of water spillage is overfilling. Turn your motor on and put in just enough water for it to just begin to flow over the top. Keep the motor running. The wheel will soon absorb enough water to stop the flow. At that point, add just enough water to just start the flow again. Repeat these two steps until the water keeps flowing. This is enough water to function with minimum spillage. Do not go by fill lines.

Be careful when rotating your machine.

I have never known of a motor shorting out due to normal  usage.

Ken

highpower

I am a total noob as well but I did enjoy watching your video. I don't think there is any way to get a short in the electrical from the small amount of water that might drip onto the machine. I'm sure it was engineered to keep that from happening. As far as the mess on the floor is concerned I bought the RM-533 rubber mat to set the machine on to catch the drippings and keep them off of the floor. I imagine any type of pan wide enough with a raised border would work. The dampening of any vibrations by the rubber mat is just icing on the cake.

QuoteThis is enough water to function with minimum spillage. Do not go by fill lines.

Good to know. Thanks for that.

JustADudeInSweden

Quote from: Ken S on January 24, 2022, 08:43:21 PM
Welcome to the forum, Ryan.

Do not go by fill lines.

Be careful when rotating your machine.

I have never known of a motor shorting out due to normal  usage.

Ken

Thanks, Ken!

Yup, was going by the fill lines  :P - I shall follow your above reply from now.
Good to know about the motor as well - had me a bit worried!

Good to know. Thanks for that.

Quote from: highpower on January 24, 2022, 08:50:29 PM
I am a total noob as well but I did enjoy watching your video.
Hey! Thanks man! Working on the unboxing and my first sharpening video, that should be up soon!

> I imagine any type of pan wide enough..

Will check out putting a pan/tray till I get around to buying the Tormek accessory, right now the truing tool is on my top wish list...
Getting Jiggy With It

John_B

On the T-4 I think the water line is for an old stone. As Ken says you do not need a lot of water; as lond as stone is in the water you are good.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

cbwx34

You might consider watching Tormek's new instruction videos... (here's one for starters)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ifZQOJA7k

Also, alternatives for catching water... cafeteria tray, dog place mats, etc. (like you said, just about any).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

JustADudeInSweden

Thanks guys!

Yup, going through Tormek vids.

Quote from: cbwx34 on January 24, 2022, 09:50:36 PM
You might consider watching Tormek's new instruction videos... (here's one for starters)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ifZQOJA7k

That's the exact vid that helped me place my jig correctly (hopefully) on the knife  :)
Getting Jiggy With It

Ukfraser

Ikea do a range of colourful trays which are 33cm by 33cm which are just about right for a t4 (and a slightly larger boring one 32 by 53 cm). All very reasonably priced and quite good at catching water and honing paste drips. 🤫

JustADudeInSweden

Quote from: Ukfraser on January 27, 2022, 11:45:19 AM
Ikea do a range of colourful trays which are 33cm by 33cm which are just about right for a t4 (and a slightly larger boring one 32 by 53 cm). All very reasonably priced and quite good at catching water and honing paste drips. 🤫
Thanks for the tip!
Getting Jiggy With It