News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Surge protector / uninterruptible power supply...

Started by Naf, January 03, 2022, 03:17:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naf

Newbie here...

1. Do T8s have built in surge protector or not?  Mine unplugged when not in use, but while in use? Don't want zapped from passing storm or whatever.
2. Anyone use ups on these? I usually prefer the circa $60 ones that at 200W plus LED arm magnifier/ light should allow few minutes to complete critical passes and power down properly rather than have die in middle of pass should power fail.

Opinions?

Naf

Ukfraser

I dont leave tools plugged in when not in use (or my amps or desktop computers). I have circuit breaker but not used surge protection but i may have a project where i use the saws table for a few days and then not use it again for months. Same with tormek where i will have a number of sessions and concentrate on planes and knives or chisels but now most have a good shape, its mainly honing and i probably have about four sessions a year and im not doing proper carpentry at the moment. One day...

But if you have a number of units, use a surge protector extension flex you only have to pull out one plug.

Uninteruptable power, how important is it to have you machines working? Its certainly not an issue for me. But how long do you want the power for should there be an outage and for how many of your machines do you want to continue running? What other things need to be kept running as well? What is the historic frequency of outages and for how long where you are? Only you can decide what your prevention strategy needs to be, and you can always build in ups later when you have a better understanding of your risks and can do the calculations accurately.

tgbto

I don't see the T8 "dying in the middle of a pass" being much of an issue. It will just stop sharpening but not ruin the blade.

Naf

I appreciate the comments questions, but my initial questions remain... let me restate... as this seem extremely critical to me and everyone elsetoo...

While anyone sharpening anything on any Tormek without plugged into UPS, if power go out in middle of pass (think both light source and Tormek suddenly fail), any degree of one being startled by event could easily cause person, now in dark, with some degree of sharp object in hand, to cut/stab themselves or nick/scrape part of object being sharpen on wheel or something else, while trying reorient their self and establish alternate light source.

My Tormek where no windows. Yes, object certainly not ruined, but could be irreparably damaged (I very picky about finish of any my things,  especially knives or things I can't "fix" easily). Already have LED light/ magnifier on articulating arm mounted to bench for Tormek(s) that uses probably 10W. There no need for calculation as UPS in mind have already several of so will repurpose one for Tormek(s)/LED light. Would keep several Tormek running for several minute if they truly 200W. Unplug one cord for UPS disconnecting everything from service while not in use; of course... already do, as said. I already have "better understanding".  I not keep my amps/computers plugged in either when not using, except the ones in entertainment center, because that whole rig been on UPS for decades (prefer actually shutdown things like amps/DVRs /PCs/ gaming sys, et cetera.

The vast majority of plugs on decent Ups devices have surge protection.

Have heard/ read multiple times surge protection shouldn't be doubled up, though no good explanation on that and never verified in any way. I not electrical engineer but have had debates with several; if any here, please explain how/why this not double up thing true/ false. Have not concern about debate though might ask question for clarify.

So, my initial questions remain... except "Opinions?"!!!  Atypical for me, but I not want opinions on this topic only now... I need know factually... Does T8 have built in surge suppression circuitry or not?  Reason is, I ready plug in benches power strip to my ups because have need to.  If T8 have no s.s. circuitry, then I'm not doubling up, so that become moot, in this case.

Again,I atypical, in many ways. Apologies for my proactive/ preventive approach. I must have light, especially while sharpening.  Simply cannot have vertigo kick in with knife / axe / harpoon / spear / machete / sword in hand, while in both sudden and pure darkness.

Ken?

Ukfraser

Simply cannot have vertigo kick in with knife / axe / harpoon / spear / machete / sword in hand, while in both sudden and pure darkness.

Simple answer is to put ups on your lights then. Though you will still be plunged into darkness until the ups kicks in.

Naf

No, light not go off until ups kick in... they designed so things not go off at all... maybe crappy ones do that, mine don't. Regardless, that solution not prevent the other aspects.

Simple answer is yes/no to...
Does T8 have built in surge suppression?  (Some devices do. )
Anyone currently operate a T8 connected to a UPS? (which would imply it not damage it. )

Ken S

Naf,

I have a simple solution to your concerns.

First, the loss of light due to power outages. Here is a link to an inexpensive outage light which should provide enough light when the power goes out:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Energizer-Compact-Rechargeable-Emergency-LED-Flashlight-Plug-in-Power-Outage-Light-Portable-Failure-Flashlights-Great-Hurricane-Supplies-Survival-Kit/494352652

You might also want to keep aregular flashlight nearby.

Second, when the power goes our while you are using your Tormek:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Energizer-Compact-Rechargeable-Emergency-LED-Flashlight-Plug-in-Power-Outage-Light-Portable-Failure-Flashlights-Great-Hurricane-Supplies-Survival-Kit/494352652

I would suggest you set up your Tormek on a portable table (like a Workmate) outside when weather permits. This will give you plenty of light. When you can't set up outside, use the nonelectric Sharpmaker instead of your Tormek. The Sharpmaker will give you a workmanlike sharp edge and is not dependent on electric power. It will also serve as a useful backup for your Tormek.

Ken

RickKrung

How often and for how long does your power go off?
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

BeSharp

Yes, it really is 200 watts. I measured 1.6 Amps (under load) x 120 volts = 192 Watts. Used it to estimate the battery size for my battery powered inverter power supply for farmers markets:

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=4784.msg34260#msg34260

I don't think a surge suppressor is really needed. Surges fry electronics. There are no electronics on a Tormek, just a motor with a startup capacitor. And newer models (T-7's from a certain serial number onwards, and all T-8's) have an auto stop function if power goes off suddenly.

Naf

Um, OK... where start with this?

Thank you.

Clarification...

If wanting to run anything electrical for more than a couple minutes during outage,  I would simply use the generator. (Also, battery inverter system definitely very practical for planned portability.)

Many things I talk about in my posts I already have prior to most recent acquisition T8.

My whole point for topic was not damage T8 while proactively protecting my safety and preventing possible finish damage to object currently being sharpen, in the event of power outage, which, for me, is usually: completely random, atypical, and brief. (But it does happen here, probably less than half dozen, annual. )

So, since sound like T8 not have surge circuitry, which seem good thing (not double up aspect nowirrelevant this case), my simplest solution plug existing T8/ light into existing repurpose UPS.

Now verified, this current setup (no pun intended) draw little so work fine; than you BeSharp letting know this likely not damage T8 so probly safe try.

So, while working, if overhead light go off, UPS kick in as power fail, but both local light/magnifier and Tormek stay on, so not startle (UPS beep alarm disabled), not stab self, not damage harpoon, for example.

All problems averted long term.  Simply replace UPS battery as scheduled.

Again, thank you!

For anyone wanting replicate this...

You could use radio for failure indicator instead of over head light, I guess, or many other things, just not plug in to UPS, obviously. (I not use radios anymore; Spotify on cell through JBL Boombox - the original, not version 2, cause original work as speakerphone automatically, assuming defaults still enabled on Bluetooth profile, but version 2 not have this feature, stupidly, since it simple disable this on profile in event not want music suddenly pause by incoming call - just let loved ones know in advance when do that.)

Here similar light, power cord USB/ charger,  so also work from USB battery when storm knock out power more than briefly/pole transformer blows nearby/ someone wrecks auto &takes out pole near by. (Have 2 in living room clamp attached end tables for my sharpen there with guided systems / wife crochet & crafts)...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099S3PSKC/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_GQV27T8FN7D37T22AAWZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Anyone feels similarly should seriously consider acquiring decent UPS to plug Tormek (and light, if necessary) into