News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek storage and accessory training session

Started by Ukfraser, November 03, 2021, 02:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ukfraser

yesterdays live training session got me thinking. Im on a budget and slowly getting my garage sorted as a workshop. In the past i have sharpened on my workbench but it has poor light and very tight on space. Yesterday i had the house to myself and experimented using the kitchen peninsular which is also at 900 mm. I found myself leaving my t4 in the centre near the end and walking round so i could sharpen on one side and hone from the other without the need to keep turning the t4 round.
Earlier this year my second b&d workmate gave up the ghost with metal fatigue and being unable to repair it i decided to try out the triton superjaws. Having already made a horse insert to convert it to a chopping block for spoon carving i decided to add a small workbench surface so i could continue to walk round my tormek without having to splash out on the turntable. It makes this a very stable moveable  multifunction unit and removes the need for castors.

Its work in progress as the height is currently 820 mm but thought i would share this to see what others have created for their sharpening stations.

Ken S

For many years my workshop was in my poorly lit, overstuffed, and unheated garage. By chance, one day I setup my Tormek on my Workmate just outside. The north side, open side light was marvelous, a zillion times better than in the garage. In my present home (with a basement workshop), I use an LED task light, which works very well.

Although I have a rotating base, being able to walk around the Tormek seems to be the natural way to work. In my opinion, the T4 is the logical choice for kitchen work. The dimensions of the Tormek Work Station seem a good balance between being large enough and not too large. On a tight budget, a homebuilt version certainly makes sense. I would size the width and length to work with a Tormek Rubber Work Mat. This may seem expensive now. Later, it will be useful and luxurious.

I would keep it simple, just a bench. You don't need much space in a cardboard box to hold the few items necessary to sharpen knives.

Simple "one by", 2x4, and plywood top is very adequate. Although I have a Tormek Work Station, my other sharpening bench sees as much Tormek service. The top is an abandoned child's table I rescued from the trash fifty years ago. The legs and stretchers are scrap 2x4 and one by I cobbled together. The top has holes from various power tools I mounted over the years. It won't win any fine furniture prizes, but it works very well.

Enjoy the journey.

Ken