News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek Excel cal spread sheet

Started by dusmif, May 30, 2021, 12:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dusmif

Found and downloaded the Excel Cal spread sheet, which I am very grateful for having this opportunity to do so, but, I am having some difficulty to understand how to use it,  mainly how to set the height of the usb, which column should I use from the 4 rows I am seeing. ( photo ) to set my usb for the correct setting.
Any help or link how to use this spreadsheet is appreciated.
Thank you.
Alf.

micha

Hi Alf,

if you scroll down on the very page of jvh's excellent Excel sheet, you should see a drawing with all the values explained. Have you already been there?

I guess you are looking for the "VUSB" value, but I may be wrong.
Mike

RickKrung

Like micha, it is not clear what you are trying to do or are asking.  Are you trying to obtain a setting for the USB height?  Or are you trying to set the USB height so as to obtain some other value, such as the angle that setting will produce?  Or something else? 

On the Tab (TormekCals) in the image you posted, the values you show are computed based on inputs in the green shaded areas to the left of where your image is, as in this image.  Select the jig in the salmon colored cell and input setting for the parameters in the green cells.

If you want to know what the values are, in the image you showed, hover your cursor over the cell of interest and the comments embedded in the cell (indicated by the little red triangle in the upper left corner of the cells) will "pop up", as in this image.

If you want to set the USB height to determine what angle is produced, use the tab named "BevelCalc", select the jig you will use in the salmon colored cell and then set the height values for the type of USB setting you are using, in the green cells, and the resulting angle will show in the cells further down the sheet (not shown).

Selection of jigs in the salmon or orange colored cells will have a small square on the right side, with a down pointing triangle, which when clicked on will show the list of available selections.

It takes time playing with things to figure stuff out.  Make sure you've read and understand explanatory stuff on the "FAQ" tab.  If I have any of this wrong, someone please correct me and provide the correct explanation(s). 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

dusmif

Thank you All for interesting informative replies, much appreciated.
I am very sorry for not explain myself more clearly, but I am not so technical, I tried to figured it out, but I thought I better ask, and it is a good thing that I have asked because I found out, thanks to your help that there is more setting than I thought, example the BevelCal tab,
This is a very great application, if I may say so.
What I was looking for was how to set the height of the USB after inputting the required values, Wheel diameter: Jig tool projecting length, that is from which points I should measure; USB to which point on the machine or on the stone. And should I use the yellow tab marked TUSB mm value? Or one below that?
I hope I got it right now.  :)
For sure I am going to study more what you all have explained to me and save all examples to study more in depth.
Thank you
Alf.
update, I discovered that I downloaded and was using an old version of the spread sheet. The new update version is better to understand. Thank you

jvh

@ Rick & Mike:
Thank you for your posts.  :)

@ Alf:
Please look at help in cell comments, functions should be well documented here. I will try to add more instructional videos to my YT channel in the future, unfortunately I have a lot of other work at this moment.
If necessary, you can also send me a private message and I will try to answer specific questions directly.

jvh

dusmif

Quote from: jvh on May 31, 2021, 09:10:25 PM
@ Rick & Mike:
Thank you for your posts.  :)

@ Alf:
Please look at help in cell comments, functions should be well documented here. I will try to add more instructional videos to my YT channel in the future, unfortunately I have a lot of other work at this moment.
If necessary, you can also send me a private message and I will try to answer specific questions directly.

jvh

Thank you very much, very kind of you, I appreciate very much.   I be looking for any videos on this subject, but in the meantime I will try and figure it out before bothering you.

Alf.

cbwx34

Quote from: dusmif on May 30, 2021, 07:07:01 PM
What I was looking for was how to set the height of the USB after inputting the required values, Wheel diameter: Jig tool projecting length, that is from which points I should measure; USB to which point on the machine or on the stone. And should I use the yellow tab marked TUSB mm value? Or one below that?
I hope I got it right now.  :)

"T USB" sets the USB height by measuring directly to the wheel...

... the ones below measure to the machine (here's a pic showing the relationship...)

You can also set the FVB, horizontal, etc. by measuring directly to the wheel.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

dusmif

cbwx34, thank you that was I was looking for.
Alf

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on June 01, 2021, 04:13:41 PM
...snip...
... the ones below measure to the machine (here's a pic showing the relationship...)

Excellent graphic, Curtis.  That will help me keep them straight...  sort of...  Well, maybe not, as I use the direct to the wheel method now. 

Quote from: cbwx34 on June 01, 2021, 04:13:41 PM
...snip...
"T USB" sets the USB height by measuring directly to the wheel...
...snip...
You can also set the FVB, horizontal, etc. by measuring directly to the wheel.

I've been a convert to the direct measurement from the USB to the wheel for a year or so, now.  Curtis has advocated for it for a long time.  I find it much faster, easier and accurate.  And it works for all positions of the USB, as Curtis mentions. 

The other thing that I think is overlooked is that it eliminates compounding of errors, known or unknown/unrealized.  Measurements from the USB to the machine case or FVB all require that other measurements be made or assumed.  Both horizontal and vertical distances from the axle centerline to the machine case top and position of the USB sleeves, etc.  These are often unknown values and assumed for various models of machines, based on someone else's measurements.  Several years ago, I posted methods of how to make those measurements more accurately, and Wootz corrected some of the values in his software as a result.  I made my own FVB and never could get the vertical and horizontal values right, so resorted to the black marker way more than I should have to. 

Measuring direct from the USB to the wheel entails only one measurement, eliminating all those other sources of errors. 

In regard to the photo of caliper to wheel position, I hope this isn't regarded as too nit-picky, but I find the image of the caliper measuring from the back side confusing and/or misleading.  So, please regard this as a request for clarification.  I say this because it appears as though the caliper plunger is not parallel between the back side of the bar and the rear (right) side of the machine axle.  Perhaps it is only a matter of perspective. (I added a line to Curtis's photo showing what I mean.) I use a rubber band stretched between the USB and axle to help me line it up.  I also use a marking gauge rather than calipers, but that is just my preference.  And I only measure from the front or top of the USB.   

Rick

Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

Quote from: RickKrung on June 03, 2021, 03:42:51 AM
In regard to the photo of caliper to wheel position, I hope this isn't regarded as too nit-picky, but I find the image of the caliper measuring from the back side confusing and/or misleading.  So, please regard this as a request for clarification.  I say this because it appears as though the caliper plunger is not parallel between the back side of the bar and the rear (right) side of the machine axle.  Perhaps it is only a matter of perspective. (I added a line to Curtis's photo showing what I mean.) I use a rubber band stretched between the USB and axle to help me line it up.  I also use a marking gauge rather than calipers, but that is just my preference.  And I only measure from the front or top of the USB.   
Rick

I doubt it matters... here's a picture (from an earlier thread) where I had attached a metal strip to show how things line up.  (I think your line is a bit off too... should probably be from the center of USB).

I think sometimes we got too tied up on how accurate this setup really is.  My .02, it's more accurate than the AngleMaster (for knives, since most aren't flat on the side), but we're not in the fractions of a degree that we (including me) once thought.  I have for a while said I'm probably +- a degree and also that consistency is just as (or more) important.  Pick a method and stick with it... and it'll work well... my opinion anyway.

Quote from: RickKrung on June 03, 2021, 03:42:51 AM

I've been a convert to the direct measurement from the USB to the wheel for a year or so, now.  Curtis has advocated for it for a long time.  I find it much faster, easier and accurate.  And it works for all positions of the USB, as Curtis mentions. 

The other thing that I think is overlooked is that it eliminates compounding of errors, known or unknown/unrealized.  Measurements from the USB to the machine case or FVB all require that other measurements be made or assumed.  Both horizontal and vertical distances from the axle centerline to the machine case top and position of the USB sleeves, etc.  These are often unknown values and assumed for various models of machines, based on someone else's measurements.  Several years ago, I posted methods of how to make those measurements more accurately, and Wootz corrected some of the values in his software as a result.  I made my own FVB and never could get the vertical and horizontal values right, so resorted to the black marker way more than I should have to. 

Measuring direct from the USB to the wheel entails only one measurement, eliminating all those other sources of errors. 

Yup ;)

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)