News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Work stations UK

Started by Peter Eaton, May 27, 2021, 01:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Eaton

Having seen some fantastic work stations on here which Tormek machines sit on at a good working height and additionally have all the tools in the drawers below, I wanted to ask if anyone from the UK has bought such a unit online , if so from where please?

I have had a look over the past few days but I am not having much look so thought it best to ask as I am sure someone will have found something suitable.

The other thing I wanted to as is what are folk using for lining the draws of a unit when they buy for keeping all the attachments safe?
Are there insert available from Tormek or are folk using special foams and cutting it themselves, if so what type of foam.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

micha

Hi Pete,

some of the information found here might support your considerations.

The Tormek Sharpening Station (TS-740) comes with these trays included, btw.

Mike

tgbto

I use a Facom cart. It is on the high side but I'm tall and I like tohave my face close to the work when I sharpen on the Tormek so it is fine. And It has a lot of room in the drawers.

I cut custom tray linings from the thick ShadowFoam blocks. The Easy Peel version works a treat. As it's customcut, it is optimized for the jigs I own with no room lost. Plus it is oil/water spillage resistant.

Cheers,

Nick.

Peter Eaton

Thanks guys I will have a look

EDIT. Whilst looking I see a few companies make the 'system' type tool storage boxes, which loo like I need to investigate further.

dusmif

Buying the Work station is out of the question for me, price and workspace are my main concern, so, from one single pallet I have made one according to my needs, for the space I have in my workshop. It took me 3 days and lots of fun doing it and serve me well.
If this is not allowed to post, please do delete.Thank you.
Alf

Ken S

Alf,

Speaking as the moderator, I have no problem with your post. I am more interestedin whatsits on your work station than in the work station itself.

For the record, I like your work station. I don't believe in "the ideal work station". I do believe in the concept of well designed, useful work stations. Yours is definitely in this category.

I think the Tormek foam liners can be useful for most users, especially the latest versions with fitted cases. I have started using one for my woodturning jigs. I am a very occasional turner. The standard issue Tormek jig selection and foam work for me. The foam and case allow me to free up drawer space while keeping the jigs together, organized, and nearby. in my case, I have too many knife jigs and platforms for the Tormek inserts to work. That's just me.

Everyone's needs are necessary, and will probably change over time. Alf, I think you have designed a very practical and useful work station which will serve you well.

Ken

dusmif

Thank You Ken for your kind comments. I have just finished this workstation and now I am planning to make the drawers partitions out of wood to fit what little tools I have. This way I can modify if I need to in the future.
Alf.

RichColvin

Alfred,

I took the wheels off mine and greatly prefer that. 

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

dusmif

Quote from: RichColvin on June 20, 2021, 02:58:30 AM
Alfred,

I took the wheels off mine and greatly prefer that. 

Rich

The only reason I have the wheels is that because lack of space, I have to move it to be able to work on it.
As I have said, I do not have a big workshop, that is one reason I made it to my measurements.
Alf

RickKrung

With all due respect, I do not get the fascination with workstations/carts.  I have so many stones/wheels, jigs, calipers, marking gauges, shims, other setup tools on one side and BESS scale, notepad, protective sleeves and cleanup materials on the other, that I need an entire, full size folding table on which to work.  The attached photo doesn't even show most of what is usually out on the right side of my work area.  What do you that use these workstations do for all that sort of stuff? 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

dusmif

Simply, I, for one, unfortunately do not have all that stuff, I wish I had, but I don't.
Alf.

micha

Alf,
impressive work with your workstation! Well done!
The reason for me having a workstation is just that I also have a lot of sharpening related stuff, more than will ever fit into the workstion's drawers. But, unlike Rick, I'm glad these take at least a good part of all the accessories. Maybe I'm simply not good at having things laying around on the table, all that stuff is striving for chaos then. :)
Mike

dusmif

Thank You Mike,Very kind of you.
It goes without saying, that one has to adapt to is's needs, and his preferences.
Alf.