News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Building a stand and looking for input on the Storage Trays

Started by toolcollector, November 23, 2020, 07:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toolcollector

I've searched past posts and couldn't find an answer to this question so I'm hoping someone on the forum can help.

I'm looking to build a designated stand/work station for my Tormek.  I'm in the design phase now and will be taking a lot of ques from posts on this forum, the TS-740 Sharpening Station, and general internet searches.

I would like to future proof the stand and make sure the drawers will fit the storage trays Tormek sells.  The problem is I can't find their dimensions online anywhere and there are no retailers within a reasonable distance that I could go measure.

Could someone that has these trays get me some quick dimensions?  It looks like the different trays have different depths so I'd really like to get dimensions from all three.

Thanks in advance,
Wes

micha

Wes,

The tray in your picture is 38 x 28.5 x 6 cm     =    15 x 11.2 x 2.3 inches

The other trays (HTK and TNT) are 8.3 cm high.   = 3.27"

Mike

toolcollector

Mike, thanks for the info.  This is exactly what I was looking for.  I will design the drawers with these dimensions in mind plus a little wiggle room as I always tend to cut things too close and then have to shave things down in order to get them to fit.

Wes

micha

Well,  a little allowance, especially in height, is definitely a good idea.

By the way, I have to admit I don't use the trays at all and just put the jigs in their respective drawers.

Mike

Slim22

I built a sharpening station and included drawers to fit the three Tormek trays. I'm pleased with how it worked out. Keep in mind, however, that while the Tormek trays work great for the current jigs, some of the older jigs may not fit. For example, the old SVM-45 and SVM-100 knife jigs don't fit, with their longer black plastic handles. In that case, I highly recommend using Kaizen foam sheets from FastCap (fastcap.com) to make your own fitted drawer inserts. This is also a good option if you don't have (or anticipate getting) all the jigs to fill the Tormek trays, or if you want to include other accessories like your Frontal Vertical Base. Good luck with your project.

Jim

John_B

Another suggestion if you have additional grinding or honing wheels or may get them plan on pegs for safe storage and drying. The Japanese wheel being a very fine grain is prone to chipping.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

ega

The first design criterion for me in building a stand for my Tormek was its height; I toyed with various ideas for a variable-height arrangement but decided on a compromise fixed height which will also allow me to store the stand under the bench, with the machine stowed inside on heavy duty drawer slides.

I thought about the custom liners for drawers but, apart from their cost, felt that they were too inflexible.