News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek vs Scheppach

Started by HenrikTornquist, February 11, 2021, 12:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HenrikTornquist

I don't know if it's blasfemy, but I really want to compare the two.
I'm trying to decide if, and what to buy. I really do'nt have the need for a machine, but I want one anyway. The only ones on shelf here in town is the T-4 and the Tiger 2000s. Both, to me, looks a bit like toys. Very much plastic. The T-4 is rather small beside the 2000s.
The T-8 is to expensive for me, so that's out of the question. Then ther's the Scheppach Tiger 2500. Half the price of the T-4, and 10" stone.
The question is what it's like regarding to quality. The 2000 has a bad reputation, is the 2500 just as bad? Is the T-4 the better alternative, despite it's size? For my kitchenknifes and a couple of pocketknifes, eventually a pair of scissors perhaps, will the T-4 bee the better one, or will the Tiger 2500 do the job good enough? The 2500 + the HTK-806 is about the same price as the naked T-4.
I would appriciate your thoughts of this "dilemma". Self-created, but even so.

Henrik

jeffs55

If all you will ever sharpen is knives and maybe a pair of scissors, you do not need one of these type devices. For knives there are better faster easier solutions. For scissors, buy a new pair. I bought a Tormek for knives, it is too much for just this function.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

HenrikTornquist

It's more want than need, that's for sure.

jeffs55

If you want it and can afford it, buy it. If all we ever bought was "needs" and that is all we could afford, we would be sad. However, if you bought it no matter how much money you have will you one day look at it and wonder why? I have done that. But like I said, for knives this is not necessary or even desirable in my case. For home use which is all I do, there are better neater faster shaving sharp and far cheaper options. For my paper cutting, I have never dulled a pair of scissors and you can't sharpen hair dresser scissors anyway.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

I would choose the T4. It is not a toy. In fact, it was the basis for the T8. It is a quality, capable machine.

Ken

BradGE

Ken S

Brad,
This forum is owned by Tormek. Since our founding in 2003, there has been a gentlemen's agreement not to discuss (either to promote or detract from) competitors' products. Related to that, we do not allow buying or selling on the forum. Tormek has an obligation to its authorized dealers not to allow the forum to become a swap meet to circumvent its dealers.

CBN wheels are a slightly different category. The CBN conversation began before Tormek started including its diamond wheels. Since then, they have become competitors' products. However, that was not the main reason I limited discussion. Some of the CBN posts were becoming derogatory. As moderator, I don't want that negative influence on the forum.

In the past, I have suggested emailing vendors directly. For those who wish to discuss non Tormek products like CBN wheels (or buy and sell) I would suggest looking for other discussion groups at places like facebook.

Ken Schroeder, Moderator

RichColvin

Henrik,

Brad raises a good point.  I am in the community which feels that we should keep this forum focused on Tormek products.  Tormek funds this forum, and we should respect that.  I don't work for Tormek, and they may disagree.

I can speak very highly about Tormek and their products.  As you look at your options, please consider these points:

Tormek is the innovator in this space. Tormek is not an entry-level product like a whet stone.  And there are some sharpening niches for specific products that are possibly better for those tasks, but I have also found that they are much more expensive.

In the space where I see Tormek chooses to compete, they are the innovators.  I continue to see new and innovative products from them on a very regular basis.  And those products seem to span the sharpening space they choose to compete in.  They are not simply innovations for sharpening knives or only woodturning tools or whatever.  They are innovating across the board.  As a wood turner and carver, I am very happy to see this broad focus.

Some do complain about some aspect or another of anything, but at least with Tormek there is something to complain about.  It is hard to complain about the jig's width or thickness if there is not one available. 

Most other companies are simply copying what Tormek has done.

Tormek makes solid products.  I have owned my Tormek T-2000 since 2002.  It is still running well and I expect my children to use it for many years when they finally inherit it from me (30-40 yrs from now).  I have a T-8 now, and it has some wonderful advantages over the T-2000.  But I can say that the T-2000 is not collecting dust.  I just have the ability to have it dedicated to sharpening using the SB, SG, and SJ grindstones and the T-8 to diamond stones.

Tormek does not abandon users of their products.  When the shaft on my old Tormek T-2000 got rusty, I was able to buy the newer stainless steel replacement that is the same one used on the T-8.  And all my jigs that worked on the T-2000 are usable today on the T-8. 

And the same is true in reverse.  When the new SVD-186 jig was introduced, it was a significant improvement over the SVD-185.  I quickly bought one, knowing it would work flawlessly on the T-2000.

In all these cases, my investment is protected.  And it is not just a financial investment.  My investment in training is also protected.  The skills I use on the T-2000 are the same as on the T-8.

Tormek stands behind their products.  I have been a user of this forum for many years.  One thing I have seen often is how quickly Tormek support steps up to take care of any problem users experience.  Customer support is something you hope to not need, but if you do, you want a company that supports us as well as they.  These are mechanical devices and they sometimes fail.

If you can afford to get the T-4, you should.  You may find it is all the machine you will ever need.  But if you don't, all the jigs you buy for it will also work on the 250mm machine (today, that is the T-8, but then, who knows).

Good luck,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

HenrikTornquist

First of all: thanks for your answers.
Please forgive if I broke any rules, I blame it on lack of knowledge.
Admin can lock or remove the thread as he wishes, I've gotten my answers.
Sorry for any inconvenience.

Henrik

HenrikTornquist

Quote from: jeffs55 on February 11, 2021, 12:59:42 PM
If all you will ever sharpen is knives and maybe a pair of scissors, you do not need one of these type devices. For knives there are better faster easier solutions. For scissors, buy a new pair. I bought a Tormek for knives, it is too much for just this function.
So, what would you suggest instead? Preferably something that works with different angles.

kenlip

Quote from: jeffs55 on February 11, 2021, 12:59:42 PM
If all you will ever sharpen is knives and maybe a pair of scissors, you do not need one of these type devices. For knives there are better faster easier solutions.

What better, faster, easier solutions do you recommend for knives?

Ken
Relative newbie
SA-250 that is about 35 years old
About to upgrade to a T-8

Ukfraser

As with all answers it so depends on your level of need.

For years ive happily used a chefschoice for sharpening my kitchen knives for everyday normal family use.  I used an earlier 130 with three grades and it is very fast, it takes up virtually no space, no time to set up and about 5 minutes to get a really nice edge on the knife so it does a very good job on my reasonable quality domestic cooking knives and i can certainly tell when ive sharpened them. (Sabatier and kitchen devil type)

https://chefschoice.com/collections/electric-knife-sharpeners

However, since getting the t4 (with the hand tool kit, tt50 and se70) i have now started sharpening everything on this and while i was very satisfied with the chefs choice, the tormek takes sharpening to a new level and has enabled me to sharpen my other knives from folding pocket ones to bush craft and carving ones in addition to my kitchen knives. The main difference between the tormek and the chefs choice is that i am finding im using more plasters from accidental nicks to my fingers since using tormek! I dont notice any difference when Preparing meat and veg.

Not to mention my woodworking and garden tools (i have a 2.5lb spear and jackson razorsharp axe that i can actually get as sharp as its title! That was the one tool i was worried would be too big for the t4 and i would regret not going for the t8. The t4 is quite up to the task and certainly no toy.)