News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Small Palm tools

Started by FScott, October 27, 2006, 03:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FScott

I am  interested in the Tormek system but most of my work is with small palm tools (v gouges, etc).

Are these small tools able to be consistently sharpened on the Tormek?

Jeff Farris

All you have to do to get consistent results on small carving tools is keep the grindstone graded to the fine cutting 1000 grit finish. If you wear through the fine surface, and expose coarser grains, it will start cutting too fast.  After some experience, you can hear, feel and see that when it happens.
Jeff Farris

FScott

Thanks Jeff:

What tool holder (SP #) should I be looking at to hold the palm tools at the correct angle? Will that tool also be able to be quickly honed between complete sharpening?  Would the Wood Carver Package be the way to go for the small tools?
Scott

Jeff Farris

The SVS-32 will be the jig of choice for most palm tools.  The Woodcarvers Package includes the SVS-32 and the SVD-185.  The SVD-185 is designed to sharpen bent gouges (and bent vees) and if you use any of the FlexCut brand tools, the SVD-185 handles their flat shanks quite well.

If you don't use bent gouges or FlexCuts, get the Starter Package and add the LA-120 profiled honing wheel, SVS-32 and at some point you'll need the ADV-50D diamond truing tool.
Jeff Farris