News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

refreshing ur grindstones

Started by Hannsi1957, November 15, 2020, 10:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannsi1957

today I got a special tip from an old knife master who I think fits here quite well. Of course this also applies to less affected stones, or for all those who want to refresh their stone.
The pictures show the stone that was half dipped in citric acid for 48 hours. if i don't believe it, just try it with an old stone. afterwards the stone grinds better. i will definitely try it.
cheers Hanns

RichColvin

Hans,

I am a bit wary to try what you are proposing.  I know the stone is man-made and I do not know what the binding agent is for the grit.  Citric acid might not simply clean, but also dissolve or weaken the binding agent.

I am more an advocate of using the TT-50 to true the stone and use that to refresh the stone.  To me, having the stone look nice is not terribly important. 

But that is simply one man's opinion.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Alihussein8