News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

new`s from the part front

Started by Hannsi1957, November 04, 2020, 06:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannsi1957

when it comes to the length of the workpiece, everyone has their own method. i used mine once. the block at the top can be fixed and always has a right angle. you can use it to align the cutting edge of the knife. of course, you can also use it to clamp several knives in a row and then sharpen them without having to adjust the height of the toolbar because you always have the same length of the workpiece. this makes the work much easier.

cbwx34

Quote from: Hannsi1957 on November 04, 2020, 06:06:53 PM
when it comes to the length of the workpiece, everyone has their own method. i used mine once. the block at the top can be fixed and always has a right angle. you can use it to align the cutting edge of the knife. of course, you can also use it to clamp several knives in a row and then sharpen them without having to adjust the height of the toolbar because you always have the same length of the workpiece. this makes the work much easier.

Looks good... you should consider adding a way to also set the height of the USB to the machine (and maybe wheel size?)... be a nice "all in one" tool.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

hansen

Hello Hanns,
cool idea to make life easier. If you design your self-centering knife jig in a way to simply adjust the tool length it fits perfectly to this length measurement tool. Looking forward to see both products in action at your youtube channel.
Cheers

Ken S

Hanns,
When you are designing your jig, please make the threads on the shaft longer than those on the present SVM-45. This would allow thinner knives like pocket knives and paring knives to be set directly to 139mm Projection, the standard Projection used by many of us. This would reduce set up time for anyone sharpening a mixture of knife sizes.

Pre 2002 Tormek knife jigs had these longer threads. Tormek redesigned the jigs because some careless users were leaning on the longer shafts. Why should present day users continue to be punished with less efficient jigs because some users twenty years ago were careless?

Here is a photo showing the difference: 

Ken

van

Good job!
I hope it has a range of application to suit any type of knife, from the smallest to the cleaver :)
Kindly yours

Hannsi1957

Range is from 100cm up to 25 cm Length

Ken S

Van,
The constraint with cleavers is not the jig. The problem is that the legs of the US-105 support bar are not tall enough for cleavers. The US-430 handles both longer knives and cleavers. It serves well as a second support bar for knife sharpeners.

Ken

Hannsi1957

i have 2 Toolbars in my shop Ken, first is 45cm long and 23 cm hight
second is doublesided with 65 cm and also 23 cm hight

with this u can grind everything without problems.

Cheers Hanns

van

Quote from: Ken S on November 05, 2020, 03:57:35 PM
Van,
The constraint with cleavers is not the jig. The problem is that the legs of the US-105 support bar are not tall enough for cleavers. The US-430 handles both longer knives and cleavers. It serves well as a second support bar for knife sharpeners.

Ken
Sure! I was not referring to the US430 bar or similar, but to the measuring instrument built by Hanns
Kindly yours

Hannsi1957

Quote from: Ken S on November 05, 2020, 11:23:52 AM
Hanns,
When you are designing your jig, please make the threads on the shaft longer than those on the present SVM-45. This would allow thinner knives like pocket knives and paring knives to be set directly to 139mm Projection, the standard Projection used by many of us. This would reduce set up time for anyone sharpening a mixture of knife sizes.

Pre 2002 Tormek knife jigs had these longer threads. Tormek redesigned the jigs because some careless users were leaning on the longer shafts. Why should present day users continue to be punished with less efficient jigs because some users twenty years ago were careless?

Here is a photo showing the difference: 

Hi Ken,
my first batch is only 1 cm longer but it is no problem to make the shaft 2-3 cm longer if needed. maybe as an idea i make some with longer shaft when i produce next batch.

cheers Hanns

Ken