News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek Calc2 tutorial

Started by HeatherinAK, October 31, 2020, 03:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeatherinAK

Hello, new to Tormek and the forum. I was wondering if there is a tutorial on using the Tormek Calc2 program. I am wanting to make a Kenjig type of block for sharpening chisels to 25deg and am getting some weird USB heights when I put in my numbers. I am using a SE-77 jig with 55mm projection, new T8 with standard wheel. I know I am doing something wrong. Rough setting measurement is around 37mm but the calculated number is 12.22. This looks like such a great calculator and I would like to learn to use it correctly. 

Thanks!
Heather

cbwx34

Quote from: HeatherinAK on October 31, 2020, 03:38:49 AM
Hello, new to Tormek and the forum. I was wondering if there is a tutorial on using the Tormek Calc2 program. I am wanting to make a Kenjig type of block for sharpening chisels to 25deg and am getting some weird USB heights when I put in my numbers. I am using a SE-77 jig with 55mm projection, new T8 with standard wheel. I know I am doing something wrong. Rough setting measurement is around 37mm but the calculated number is 12.22. This looks like such a great calculator and I would like to learn to use it correctly. 

Thanks!
Heather

My guess is you're inputting the Projection in the wrong place.  If you want to input your own variable... put it in the green box (what the red arrow is pointing to)...

... if you click on the notes (the yellow arrow), it will give you some of the instructions/for the line.

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Heather.

TormekCalc2 is a fine program; however it is really overkill for chisels. The kenjig evolved out of my method for setting up chisels. I designed it to help one of our older, visually impaired members who had difficulty using the Anglemaster with carving tools and chisels.

The purpose was to automate set up, thus giving consistent, repeatable results while eliminating almost all of the measuring.

Imagine a triangle, with the Distance from the top of the support bar to the grinding wheel as one side. The hypoteneuse of the triangle is the Projection of the chisel from the front of the jig. As long asthe Distance and Projection remain the same, the bevel angle of the chisel will remain the same.

I used my TTS-100 setting tool. Here is a link:

https://www.tormek.com/usa/en/accessories/other-accessories/tts-100-turning-tool-setter/

The TTS-100 is a versatile accessory, and it is inexpensive. I standardized on hole B for chisels. This kept the Distance
consistent. Tormek's patented auto compensation for wheel diameter changes (the two metal wheels) eliminated any diameter variation problems.

The back side of the TTS-100 has three slots, normally used for setting turning tools. I put a piece of blank white labelmaker tape in the 55mm slot.

Set the Distance using the TTS-100. Then, with your chisel in your jig, set your Projection. Using a chisel of approximately 3/4" width gives a solid start. If your chisel already has your desired 25° bevel, you can use your black marker. Or you can use the Anglemaster.  The chisel back has a large flat surface which makes the Anglemaster accurate. Tuning your set up by varying the Projection may seem more difficult than just raising or lowering the support bar; however, you only do this once.

Once you have your first chisel set up and still in the jig, place it in the slot with the blank label tape and mark a line at the edge with a fine tipped marker. Setting up all future chisels ius a snap. Just Set the distance using the hole in the TTS-100 and align the front of the chisel to the line on the tape. If you wish, you can also make other marks, for example at 30º for A2 chisels and/or 20º for more delicate paring chisels.

Try this. It is remarkably simple yet accurate. And, keep us posted.

Ken

HeatherinAK

Thanks so much! I swear I did that 20 times but had probably messed up something along the way so downloaded the original program again and started over just in the green boxes. Now got 36.78mm. Sound right?

Heather

HeatherinAK

Ken, I like the idea of using the TTS for the usb height. I was using it for the chisel projection length but like your idea better. I could make a little block jig for the correct projection just as easily, if not more so, than a block for the height. I like having the constants for repeatability. Now to go find the usb height in TTS position B! I had hoped to use position A because that is where I will mostly be setting it (I am mostly a Woodturner), but I think it would be too high for the chisels.

Thanks again,
Heather

cbwx34

Quote from: HeatherinAK on October 31, 2020, 06:08:16 AM
Thanks so much! I swear I did that 20 times but had probably messed up something along the way so downloaded the original program again and started over just in the green boxes. Now got 36.78mm. Sound right?

Heather

You'll have to tell me... I don't sharpen chisels.  :)

Quote from: Ken S on October 31, 2020, 05:26:21 AM
TormekCalc2 is a fine program; however it is really overkill for chisels. ...

A smartphone is "overkill", if all you do is make phone calls.  But, learn the potential...   8)

(So there's no misunderstanding though... nothing against how you do it). ;)

Ken S

Interesting and amusing post, CB. No offense taken. My problem is that my chisels are all Mac and the programs are essentially Windows and Android based. And, yes, I do use my smart phone for phone calls. As a thirty five year Bell System phone man, my cel phone is much more convenient than climbing a pole in the field to make a call.  :)

Ken

Ken S

Heather,

When I started using the TTS-100, I used the B hole for chisels and the A hole for plane blades. (My TTS-100 predates lettering the holes.) The SE-77 had not been introduced at that time, so cambering was done by alternating pressure on the sides of the plane blades. This was functional, but not very precise. The longer Projection made flexing the plane blades easier. This works better with my century old Stanley blades than with today's premium thicker blades.

The B hole's shorter projection seemed logical for chisels. I have no empirical evidence for this. I suggest you try using the A hole with a chisel. Set up is done the same way, either of these Distances is arbitrary. Use what works for you.

Using wooden stop blocks is discussed in the DVD which comes with the Tormek turner's information box. I consider this a must have item for Tormek turners. It costs around $30. I consider it the best video production Tormek has ever done.

Wooden stop blocks are also discussed in some of the Lie Nielsen you tubes. These are an excellent resource for woodworkers.

Did you happen to attend the seminar a couple years ago featuring Nick Agar and Glenn Lucas? Our other forum member from Alaska, Mike, attended. Do you happen to know Mike?

Keep us posted.

Ken

HeatherinAK

Ken, yes I attended the seminar with Glenn and Nick and was able to take the hands on classes with both which started my interest in the Tormek. Nick also stayed at our home for a week after the classes. It was hard to justify the cost of the tormek at the time because I had invested in CBN wheels for my bench grinder. Fast forward to this summer when I managed to launch the grinder (while running) onto the floor, bending the arbor 😫.  And yes, I do know Mike!

I have not watched the Tormek video but will be sure to do so! I have watched Glenn's sharpening video a few times.

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on October 31, 2020, 03:01:39 PM
Interesting and amusing post, CB. No offense taken. My problem is that my chisels are all Mac and the programs are essentially Windows and Android based. And, yes, I do use my smart phone for phone calls. As a thirty five year Bell System phone man, my cel phone is much more convenient than climbing a pole in the field to make a call.  :)

Ken

I did not know Apple sold chisels!  :D

I too use an old Macbook (or Chromebook)... (Office 365 runs everywhere)...  ;)

jvh

Quote from: HeatherinAK on October 31, 2020, 03:38:49 AM

Hello,

pictures below should help you understand the calculation for SE-77 jig.

There is defined "Projection length correction X+" for SE-77 in Jig sheet and that is the reason why values in cells C10 a C11 differ (as shown on cbwx34's picture).

This function is intended for cases where it's difficult to measure the entire projection length, e.g. when it interferes with the body of the jig, but it's possible to measure to a specific point on the jig and this is exactly the case of the SE-77 jig. You cannot measure to the end of USB (85,1 mm) but you can measure to the front of body (55 mm) easily. Projection length correction X+ value is then automatically added (extracted) to the "Jig or Tool projection length X".

If you have doubt about calculation you can still use Anglemaster to check the angle.

jvh

Ken S

Heather,

I am excited for you. What an opportunity!  I have attended photography and woodworking seminars over the years at small schools where I had the opportunity to rub elbows with the instructors. Lunch and coffee breaks were always as educational as the classes themselves.

While I have never had the chance to meet Mike in person, I have come to value his forum posts.

What a sad ending for your dry grinder. Actually, A good machine shop may be able to straighten your grinder shaft or replace it. I had the bent shaft of my lawn mower straightened. I have no idea what the cost or success rate might be for you.

Ken

HeatherinAK

Thank you Jan, I got the same numbers for the heights so am reassured I am now using the calculator correctly. Thank you for making this available!

Ken, PLEASE do not tell my husband I could have just had my old grinder repaired!

Ken S

Heather, my lips are sealed......

Ken

Elden

Quote from: Ken S on October 31, 2020, 03:22:25 PM

Using wooden stop blocks is discussed in the DVD which comes with the Tormek turner's information box. I consider this a must have item for Tormek turners. It costs around $30. I consider it the best video production Tormek has ever done.

Ken has mentioned this multiple times, but I do not remember seeing that it can be watched online at the following address:

https://www.tormek.com/usa/en/accessories/other-accessories/tnt-300-woodturners-instruction-box/
Elden