News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Honing Paste

Started by Segovia123, September 20, 2020, 01:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Segovia123

Hi

I noticed that the honing paste dries out very quickly, is a dab of honing paste required every sharpening session?

New User

Seg

jeffs55

Depends on how long a "session" is. The short answer is no, not every session. The more paste that is on the wheel the faster it will work so it is a toss up. The more often you apply the paste the faster it will work. There is a point at which you can over paste the wheel. The wheel does not have to be wet. The "wet" is a carrier for the paste, the wet is not the cutting agent. Your wheel should be dry to the touch.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

jasonstone20

I add a little oil to the wheel when the compound is dried out. The manual says one application should last for 5 to 6 knives before you need to apply it again.

Segovia123

I am sure I read somewhere on this forum not to use the oil after the initial softening of the leather

jasonstone20

Quote from: Segovia123 on October 31, 2020, 10:50:21 AM
I am sure I read somewhere on this forum not to use the oil after the initial softening of the leather

Check this thread out: https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1719.0

Josu V

I use honing paste every 5 or 6 knives.

About oil, I use it after long time without use. f.e. after holidays. After 30 days without use the honing wheel, I add a little bit of oil in order to hydrate the leather.

I´m sharpening between 5 to 10 knives daily and this system works perfectly.

Regards
Abusus non tollit usum

Ken S

Good post, Josu. Experience will reveal an ideal amount and frequency of oil and honing paste for your work. The Tormek is hearty and tolerant of too little or too much.

Ken

jasonstone20

Quote from: Josu V on November 01, 2020, 09:48:22 AM
I use honing paste every 5 or 6 knives.

About oil, I use it after long time without use. f.e. after holidays. After 30 days without use the honing wheel, I add a little bit of oil in order to hydrate the leather.

I´m sharpening between 5 to 10 knives daily and this system works perfectly.

Regards

This is what I thought was the correct procedure, and this is what I do.   I really like the Tormek paste, but I have found that the best results are to use it when it isn't dry.  I have found the same issue with Mothers Mag polish, Blue Magic polish, and MetalGlo polish.