News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Q1 which jig for marking knife

Started by Ukfraser, August 02, 2020, 02:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ukfraser

Hi, i have recently retired, moved and got a t4 with se77 and now setting up my workshop and checking my tools and getting back into carpentry and considering which i can sharpen and which jigs i need.

I am a bit unsure of some of the tool names in the manual so decided to use the forum for clarification.

I have decided its easier to ask four separate questions so the answers dont get too complicated.

I have a marking knife which has single bevel but the blade is angled.

Is it possible to sharpen and if so which jig.

cbwx34

Quote from: Ukfraser on August 02, 2020, 02:49:27 PM
Hi, i have recently retired, moved and got a t4 with se77 and now setting up my workshop and checking my tools and getting back into carpentry and considering which i can sharpen and which jigs i need.

I am a bit unsure of some of the tool names in the manual so decided to use the forum for clarification.

I have decided its easier to ask four separate questions so the answers dont get too complicated.

I have a marking knife which has single bevel but the blade is angled.

Is it possible to sharpen and if so which jig.

I would say, that could be done directly on the Support Bar, like a small chisel, as seen in the book...

... mark the edge with a Sharpie and just match the existing angle, and angle the knife so it's parallel across the stone.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ukfraser

Ken S

I second CB's recommendation. Using the supportbar as a rest is a useful but underutilized technique. If you can't get close enough, try using the platform jig.

Incidentally, just like kitchen knives, if you notice you marking knife being just a little off sharp, you can often refresh it using just the leather honing wheel.

Ken