News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Test CBN-Wheels

Started by Hannsi1957, July 30, 2020, 01:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannsi1957

maybe there are some of you who are interested in how CBN-Wheels work.
I did a test where I made extra deep notches in the cutting edge to test my new 80 Grit CBN-Wheel. So far I have only used the 160 grit wheel. The 80 grit is awesome. with only 4 moves in each direction all the deep notches were removed. I even think that 3 moves would have been enough.

If you like, take a look. English subtitles are in. They are not perfect but they work. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqDW7mJrT4Y&t

cheers Hanns

cbwx34

Quote from: Hannsi1957 on July 30, 2020, 01:53:06 PM
maybe there are some of you who are interested in how CBN-Wheels work.
I did a test where I made extra deep notches in the cutting edge to test my new 80 Grit CBN-Wheel. So far I have only used the 160 grit wheel. The 80 grit is awesome. with only 4 moves in each direction all the deep notches were removed. I even think that 3 moves would have been enough.

If you like, take a look. English subtitles are in. They are not perfect but they work. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqDW7mJrT4Y&t

cheers Hanns

While I can understand that this is a video mainly to demonstrate CBN wheels, it's worth mentioning something based on what you said here, that you "even think that 3 moves would have been enough".

Let's not forget one important step in sharpening... that is to check your work as you go.  I've seen others switch to what I call "formula sharpening"... where they make X number of passes on a wheel, then move to the next step and make X number of passes, etc., without ever looking at the blade to see what is going on.  Every blade gets the same treatment.

In reality, some knives might take one pass, some might take 10.  Marking the edge with a Sharpie, checking for a burr, simply looking, etc., should be included in the steps.

Like I said, may not apply to this video, since it's to show the CBN wheels, but looked like a good place to bring it up. ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Hannsi1957

@cbwx34

i agree with you 100% about the moves over the wheel. that's why i also said probably 3 or maybe even 2 moves would have been enough. however, i grind with the 80 grit for the first time and so i'm forgiven. :)
i can only say in conclusion that the wheels do a great job.

cheers Hanns

John_B

I think it would be easy to remove excess material on knives with these newer stones. I agree it is good to check your progress often.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Hannsi1957

also my old ston es i use 1 year now gind well. maybe the grit change for the 160 into a 250 the 400 into a 600 and the 1000 into a 1200
but all does a good work after 1 year
cheers Hanns
BTW i sell them yesterday :)

Ken S

Hanns,

I like your video. As you state, the English subtitles are not perfect, however, since my great grand parents emigrated from Germany in the 1870s, your subtitles are vastly better than my nicht gut Deutsch.

I have been searching for coarser grinding wheels for several years. The selection for Tormek is much better now than in the past. I think your 80 grit wheel is a useful addition to the sharpening arsenal, however, I would not recommend it as a primary wheel for knife sharpening. For most users, I would add it only after I had the 400 and 160 grit wheels.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on July 31, 2020, 04:58:45 PM
the English subtitles are not perfect,

I'm trying to figure out why, when I don't understand something in the caption, I turn up the volume.   ???
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Hannsi1957

Quote from: Ken S on July 31, 2020, 04:58:45 PM
Hanns,

I like your video. As you state, the English subtitles are not perfect, however, since my great grand parents emigrated from Germany in the 1870s, your subtitles are vastly better than my nicht gut Deutsch.

I have been searching for coarser grinding wheels for several years. The selection for Tormek is much better now than in the past. I think your 80 grit wheel is a useful addition to the sharpening arsenal, however, I would not recommend it as a primary wheel for knife sharpening. For most users, I would add it only after I had the 400 and 160 grit wheels.

Ken

Ken u can go in one stepp from 80 to 400
u have to make 1-2 more passes on the 400 to get same edge than if u come from 160 grit but 80 is way more aggressive :)
i cant show no more, have send this wheel after the test to a guy in Sweden :)
but get new batch end next week i think.
many time i was asked witch is the best allaround wheel and i cant find any good answer because all depends on what u wanna grind.
if u have always knifes in good shape the 400 is ideal but from this moment u have chips or want to change maybe from 20 to 15 deg. u need 160 too.
the 80 grit is really very aggressive and u need that not often, but i dont wanna give it away :)

cheers
Hanns

BTW on Day i will make a video in english to make u guys laughing :)

Ken S

Hanns,

Your reply gave me a good laugh. I agree, I rarely use my 80 grit wheel, however, like you, I don't want to give it away, either.

When I was testing CBN wheels several years ago, mostly using chisels, I tried going directly from the 80 grit wheel to the leather honing wheel. (I spent more time with the leather honing wheel than usual.) I was surprised with how much the BESS reading improved. This tool was definitely in the reasonably respectable range. As expected, the bevel still had some deep scratches. For the quick and crude sharpening, it was a better edge than I deserved.

I then sharpened an identical chisel using the orthodox Tormek three step sharpening technique. The result was noticeably better and probably removed less steel, or at least removed it more carefully.

An orchestra need a bass violin, It also needs a cello and viola.

Ken

Hannsi1957

I dont want to open a new tread but i like u guys informed that at the moment due to covid-19 the shipping to US is very expensive.  a parcel fom 1 up to 10 Kilogramms cost minimum 50-60 Euro.
So i think i stop to deliver small parts.
Best will be if someone like to have some items that u order with 2-3 guys together and send then in the states to ur friends.
I disable the shipping to US and Canada because i want to clear before a Order the shipping costs

I am sorry 4 that but cant do nothing against.

Cheers
Hanns

Sharpco

Are they same with Knife Grinder's CBN wheels?

Hannsi1957

Yes
Vadim cant deliver a long time so i get Contact to the Manufactor and order my own.
after the people here in Europe saw my videos, the whole thing really got to me. So I decided, either completely or not at all and have all parts I use produced by myself and sell them with the CBN-Wheels in my shop. At the moment it is a little bit difficult to deliver to the USA because the freight costs have risen extremely due to covid-19. on top of that there is a different fee depending on the postcode. therefore i only send to the states after clarification of the freight costs by mail.

cheers Hanns

Sharpco

Quote from: Hannsi1957 on August 21, 2020, 09:48:08 AM
Yes
Vadim cant deliver a long time so i get Contact to the Manufactor and order my own.
after the people here in Europe saw my videos, the whole thing really got to me. So I decided, either completely or not at all and have all parts I use produced by myself and sell them with the CBN-Wheels in my shop. At the moment it is a little bit difficult to deliver to the USA because the freight costs have risen extremely due to covid-19. on top of that there is a different fee depending on the postcode. therefore i only send to the states after clarification of the freight costs by mail.

cheers Hanns

Thank you for answer.

Hannsi1957

so this will be the last video to introduce my accessories which I offer for the Tormek or equivalent machines.
From now on I will do again what my channel was born from: "Grinding knives".
I have several projects in progress in collaboration with clients of mine who have sent me many suggestions for videos. These I will implement bit by bit. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to use the contact form on my homepage.

https://schleifjunkies.de/en/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Riabgvdbk&t

cheers Hanns

Ken S

As Forum Moderator, I am concerned that this topic is becoming uncomfortably close to promoting non Tormek products. Therefore, I am closing it to further replies. Anyone either wishing to purchase these products or with questions, please feel free to contact the vendor through his listed website.

Out of courtesy to our host,Tormek, our conversation should revolve primarily around using Tormek products.

Ken