News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Jan Švancara

Started by Ken S, July 22, 2020, 10:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I have very sad news to post. Our longtime friend and forum member, Jan Švancara ("Jan") has passed away. Jan was seventy years old. Jan joined our forum in November of 2014 and was active up until July 18.

Jan was an amazing person of many talents. I felt a kinship with him from the start. His earliest posts were about restoring an old mortise chisel that had belonged to his grandfather. It was a labor of love and a memory I cherish.

He tutored his granddaughter in physics, which included having her follow the forum.

Jan was a highly educated engineer. His frequent posts displayed both a very high command of mathematics and a down to earth love sharpening and sharpening tools. I felt flattered when he understood and realized the value of my kenjig.

I will miss Jan. He was a good friend and a most valuable forum member.

Ken Schroeder

cbwx34

Sad news.

I'll miss him... he was a great help and inspiration to me.

😢
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

jeffs55

I am sorry to hear that, I was always in awe of his math skills. How did you find out?
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

van

Learning certain news saddens the hearts of all of us.
His teachings will remain indelible.
That the earth is mild to you.
R. I. P. :'(
Kindly yours

chino

Sharpco

John_B

I am sorry to hear of Jan's passing.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

RickKrung

Truly saddens my heart.  We are going to miss Jan.  A lot. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Elden

I appreciated Jan's cheerfully given logical and level headed posts. They will be missed.

Life is the dressing room for eternity. How am I using it?
Elden

jvh

I just got back from vacation and found this. Really sad news.

I wouldn't be here without you, I'll miss you, Jan.

Rest in Peace...

Ken S

I contacted JVH, another one of our Czech members. He, also named Jan, kindly sent me an English translation of Jen's obituary. Here it is:

I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with my whole heart;
And I will glorify thy name for evermore.
Psalm 86:12

On Sunday, July 19, 2020, before noon prayer, our dear RNDr. Jan Švancara, CSc. arrived in the arms of God in the 70th year of his life.

The last farewell will take place on Monday, July 27, 2020 at 1 p.m. at the Church of St. Vavřince in Brno - Komín.

He will be buried in the grave in the local cemetery after the Holy Mass.

On behalf of the family

Marie (wife)
Monika and Judita (daughters)
Pavel, Vít, Jiří and Marie (sibling)
Brno, Haasova 21

JVH also kindly explained the letters with Jan's name. Here is the explanation:

Hello Ken,

RNDr. = Doctor rerum naturalium, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._rer._nat.
CSc. = Candidatus scientiarum, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candidate_of_Sciences

Jan Švancara was scientist, very educated and IMHO very modest. He worked and taught at the Masaryk university for a long time.

jvh

Jan certainly was very modest. I knew Jan was very intelligent and educated.  I had no idea he was so distinguished.
He will be very missed.

Ken

Naf

I not know this man, but have read many his posts.

I very much like him and would have very much like know him.

Jan, I acknowledge you.

Life have taken much from me already; will eventually take it all.

I pause for moment, remember you, Jan, having know you not; for I have learn the most important things in this amazing, beautiful, and sometimes cruel world are the very people in it.

I truly hope you have find peace.

You not forgotten.