News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Laser Knife Edge Reader for better knife sharpening

Started by stevebot, June 24, 2020, 09:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannsi1957

Quote from: RickKrung on July 10, 2020, 04:53:20 PM
Quote from: Hannsi1957 on July 09, 2020, 08:53:26 PM
...snip...I know the owner of Vetako and will send him a Mail and ask to test fedex

cheers Hanns

Whatever...  I've been in touch with Vetako, which is how I learned of the reason for not receiving my shipment.  I doubt it will do me much good if they test FedEx and find that it works as I doubt they will ship a second unit without the first being returned first.

I've given up on them. 

Rick

@Rick,
i stay in contact with the owner of Vetako.
I go on a Business trip to Prag at 23th this month.
My Plan is to buy maybe 15-20 Goniometers from him and sell this in my shop later.
I own one at myself and i think this is the best u can get because of the Knife holding magnet.
you just put the knife in and the measurement is ready without long alignment and shaking.
very simple.

next days i make a short video from each of my tools and how to use.
think this Goniometer will be one of this videos.

cheers Hanns

RickKrung

Quote from: RickKrung on July 09, 2020, 03:24:45 PM
Laser Knife Edge Reader

I'm glad this popped up.  I just ordered, perhaps the last one, from Amazon.  I'd seen this before but was not aware that the had gone into production and were available.  Good price. 

I just ordered, the last one, from Amazon.  The link now shows it is no longer available.

I have on order also one of the LASER GONIOMETER MASTERs, but it seems to be held up indefinitely in shipping.  Vetako reports that due to COVID-19 things are not making it out of the EU.  It's been a month or more and there is no indication as tracking does not yield any useful information. I've given up on it at this point. 

Rick

I'll be gotaH@ll!  My Vetako LASER GONIOMETER (VLG) showed up today.  Had to sign for it at the PO.  AND!  The Laser Knife Edge Reader (LKER) I ordered (above) ALSO showed up today.  Delivered on the same day.  Sheesh!  There is a substantial difference between them, in terms of what they are, but there is also a substantial difference in their price.  Fitting. 

I was surprised to learn the LKER uses a rifle laser bore sighting device, in the form/shape of a bottle-neck rifle round, as the laser module.  Very ingenious.  A little bit of a bother in that there is no On/Off switch.  One has to unscrew the base and remove the batteries.  I find it curious and I do not agree with, that the instructions say and the laser scale shows some narrow color bands and relates them bevel angle, to sharpness and to function:  8º = RED: "razor sharp" - straight razors only, 15-17º = YELLOW: "super sharp" - used with high quality and hard steels, 19-21º = Green - "kitchen sharp" - used with majority of kitchen knives, and 23-25º = BLUE: "utility sharp" - used for outdoor and general purpose knives.   What bull is this? 

VLG is impressive.  I got the PRO+ model rather than the MASTER.  The PRO has a more narrow range of angle measurement (30º per side) but a more widely spread scale/increments.  It displays in 1/2º as the finest increments.  It is also the model that does not have the magnet that holds the knife blade.  In part, I selected this model in order to get the 40X loupe, which I like a lot.  It may prove to be a more functional magnifier than the 60X hand microscope I've been using the 40X has a much wider field of view and focuses a bit easier.  I'll see if I like the extent of magnification better.  I have no doubt I'll continue to use the 60X when I really want to see the detail along the apexes. 

HOWEVER, despite their differences, THEY MEASURE THE SAME...  That seems like an important bottom line...   LKER is a much more cost effective alternative, if you can get one.  I'm still going to keep the Vetako.  My LKER, the last one available on Amazon is available.  PM if interested.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.