News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Laser Knife Edge Reader for better knife sharpening

Started by stevebot, June 24, 2020, 09:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevebot

Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

Ken S

Hannsi1957

after having worked with the Catra for a long time, but always looking for a better solution, because holding the knife in the device was always too wobbly for me, i kept looking around and found the perfect device for me.
this goniometer has a magnet that holds the knife and I can get up to 5,5cm wide knives in. here is the link for all who are interested:

click on LASER GONIOMETER MASTER

https://sharpeningtool.eu/de/catalog/accessories#
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLgQAuZiY6o&feature=emb_logo

cheers Hanns

Ken S

I continue to learn from my longtime friend and mentor, Steve Bottorff. On Steve's recommendation, I purchased a Laser Knife Edge Reader. I believe it will prove a useful part of my knife sharpening. The design is clever. The laser component is bullet shaped, originally designed for bore sighting. The plastic component quickly becomes intuitive, even for someone like me who had never used a geniometer previously. I think this product offers a lot of bang for the buck.

I found the customer service excellent. Ken Leonard responded to my questions promptly.

Thanks, Steve, for the recommendation.

Ken

RickKrung

Laser Knife Edge Reader

I'm glad this popped up.  I just ordered, perhaps the last one, from Amazon.  I'd seen this before but was not aware that the had gone into production and were available.  Good price. 

I just ordered, the last one, from Amazon.  The link now shows it is no longer available.

I have on order also one of the LASER GONIOMETER MASTERs, but it seems to be held up indefinitely in shipping.  Vetako reports that due to COVID-19 things are not making it out of the EU.  It's been a month or more and there is no indication as tracking does not yield any useful information. I've given up on it at this point. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Roger M.

I found the same thing with Vetako. I wanted (and was ready with cash in hand) to order their Master+ Goniometer, but despite trying to contact them via email, telephone, and Facebook Messages - for every four or five communications I sent to them, I was lucky if I received one email back indicating whether the item was in stock, and/or what the shipping charges and arrangements would be to get the item to Canada. In the end they couldn't answer any of my questions.
I finally gave up.
I concluded that they're simply not at all set up to ship to North America, and actually have zero answers to any questions related to shipping to North America.

It's too bad, as it looks like incredibly well engineered equipment ... so nice that I may try again at some point, but not until I read of some successful North American Vetako customers.

Hannsi1957

Quote from: RickKrung on July 09, 2020, 03:24:45 PM

I have on order also one of the LASER GONIOMETER MASTERs, but it seems to be held up indefinitely in shipping.  Vetako reports that due to COVID-19 things are not making it out of the EU.  It's been a month or more and there is no indication as tracking does not yield any useful information. I've given up on it at this point. 

Rick

Hi Rick,
at thze moment for example DHL dont send Packages to
USA
Kanada
Australia
Newzeeland

all because of covid-19

i have also orders here from customers from Kanada and Newzeeland. NO WAY
but we will test to send by FEDEX, they offer Transportaition anyways.
I know the owner of Vetako and will send him a Mail and ask to test fedex

cheers Hanns

Hannsi1957

Quote from: Roger M. on July 09, 2020, 05:14:03 PM
I found the same thing with Vetako. I wanted (and was ready with cash in hand) to order their Master+ Goniometer, but despite trying to contact them via email, telephone, and Facebook Messages - for every four or five communications I sent to them, I was lucky if I received one email back indicating whether the item was in stock, and/or what the shipping charges and arrangements would be to get the item to Canada. In the end they couldn't answer any of my questions.
I finally gave up.
I concluded that they're simply not at all set up to ship to North America, and actually have zero answers to any questions related to shipping to North America.

It's too bad, as it looks like incredibly well engineered equipment ... so nice that I may try again at some point, but not until I read of some successful North American Vetako customers.

Roger maybe i have 20 or so in my shop in the future so u can buy there. I answer all the time at the same day :)
cheers Hanns

BeSharp

Quote from: Hannsi1957 on July 09, 2020, 08:53:26 PM
Quote from: RickKrung on July 09, 2020, 03:24:45 PM

Rick

Hi Rick,
at thze moment for example DHL dont send Packages to
USA
Kanada
Australia
Newzeeland

all because of covid-19

i have also orders here from customers from Kanada and Newzeeland. NO WAY
but we will test to send by FEDEX, they offer Transportaition anyways.
I know the owner of Vetako and will send him a Mail and ask to test fedex

cheers Hanns

Not sure about that. I just received a shipment from Germany via DHL. Took 3 days to get to Canada.

Hannsi1957

This is the Note on german DHL site:

Canada:
It is generally possible to send items to Canada (i.e. letters, packages, merchandise mail and parcels).
Due to the currently very limited transport capacities available, we will ship parcels to Canada by sea freight until further notice. We do not recommend sending parcels as "Premium" and would like to point out that significant delays in transit time must be expected.

Roger M.

Quote from: Hannsi1957 on July 09, 2020, 08:56:15 PM

Roger maybe i have 20 or so in my shop in the future so u can buy there. I answer all the time at the same day :)
cheers Hanns

What is the contact information for your shop Hanns?

Hannsi1957

i don't know if I can use this like this.
if not, the moderator can delete the contributor

www.schleifjunkies.de

the page is still in construction but I have tried to translate the most important things into English, French and Italian.
if there's any excitement to this, I'd like to write something to you.

cheers Hanns

Ken S

Hanns,
The moderator does not have a problem with posting a link, as long as the forum does not become the marketing platform and the product does not directly compete with a Tormek product.
Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: Hannsi1957 on July 09, 2020, 08:53:26 PM
...snip...I know the owner of Vetako and will send him a Mail and ask to test fedex

cheers Hanns

Whatever...  I've been in touch with Vetako, which is how I learned of the reason for not receiving my shipment.  I doubt it will do me much good if they test FedEx and find that it works as I doubt they will ship a second unit without the first being returned first.

I've given up on them. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Hannsi1957

Quote from: Ken S on July 10, 2020, 04:46:41 PM
Hanns,
The moderator does not have a problem with posting a link, as long as the forum does not become the marketing platform and the product does not directly compete with a Tormek product.
Ken

Hi Ken,
because off this i hold back to write here the whole time :)
i dont want to make promotion here but i am always open to answer questions.

i do almost same with the wheels like Vadim and a few different tools that can make life easier with tormek.

cheers Hanns