News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

iOS Calculator Options for Setting the Sharpening Angle on Knives...

Started by cbwx34, July 05, 2020, 05:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jvh

Quote from: cbwx34 on August 04, 2020, 10:47:50 PM
If you're an Apple Numbers user... here's what I call a "Visual Angle Calculator" for setting the USB height for knife sharpening, (same calculator, different perspective... maybe gives an idea of what's going on?) :) ...

Hello,

nice visualization. Believe me or not, I have something similar on my TODO list (with very low priority) - I planned add text boxes to drawings in TormekCalc to make dimensions "live". Well, you were faster. ;)

Quote from: Hannsi1957 on August 05, 2020, 11:17:13 PM
please don't get me wrong but that's exactly what I'm trying to explain to you but I've fallen on deaf ears so far :) if I want to use ur calculator I first have to take a course to understand everything. it could all be so simple :). so again you can shoot at sparrows with cannons or why simple if u can make it complicated. keep it simple is the goal. as you see on the result it really works.
with mine one sentence is enough to explain the whole thing i do not need a drawing and not almost a whole page to explain it :)

IMHO, it can seems so, but practically you have to enter the same values, independently on used calculator:
- Projection distance (Jig projection length)
- Wheel diameter
- Sharpening angle (Grinding angle)
and machine dependend constants (if you don't use default ones). The others are just advanced options and it depends on whether you use them or not.

Quote from: Hannsi1957 on August 06, 2020, 07:44:32 PM
I will check.
But why needed :) the final result is the same

The final result may not be the same, it depends on right values of horizontal/vertical constant. "USB Top to Wheel" dimension is always right (by design), if correct math is used.

jvh

cbwx34

Quote from: jvh on August 06, 2020, 09:10:38 PM
Hello,

nice visualization. Believe me or not, I have something similar on my TODO list (with very low priority) - I planned add text boxes to drawings in TormekCalc to make dimensions "live". Well, you were faster. ;)

I believe you.  That's actually a better idea... just putting text boxes to show the changes in the diagram.  Huh???

MHO, it can seems so, but practically you have to enter the same values, independently on used calculator:
- Projection distance (Jig projection length)
- Wheel diameter
- Sharpening angle (Grinding angle)
and machine dependend constants (if you don't use default ones). The others are just advanced options and it depends on whether you use them or not.

The final result may not be the same, it depends on right values of horizontal/vertical constant. "USB Top to Wheel" dimension is always right (by design), if correct math is used.

jvh

Good points too.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Wolfros

cbwx34

Quote from: Wolfros on February 27, 2021, 02:30:37 PM
How do I get the files to install on my iphone

Which one are you trying?

The Numbers app file you can download directly to the iPhone... it opens with the Numbers app.

The GoCalc file you have to download to a computer than install using the GoCalc app... details are in the app's instructions.

If you want a "stand alone" app (that doesn't rely on another app or program) you can run the Calcapp calculator... it runs in a browser.  It sets the USB height by measuring directly to the wheel.

If you want a "stand alone" app that sets the height by measuring to the machine, I suggest SchleifJunkies app.

Wolfros

I don't get this form opened in goCalc
USB Angle Calc-Universal (Public0.6) .numbers it is available on the Iphone

Wolfros

cbwx34

Quote from: Wolfros on February 27, 2021, 05:24:57 PM

It looks like you have the GoCalc app installed OK.

The other file that you posted above works in the Apple Numbers app.  It gives the same results, just a different option.

cbwx34

I added a link to freejack's calculator in the first post... it works on both iOS and Android, can be installed and run as an app, and gives answers for both measuring to the machine, and measuring directly to the wheel.  (Should have done this sooner). :)

Willym

I've only just found this thread, and really like the Visual Angle Calculator. It's very easy to see where to input any changes. I compared it to the numbers spreadsheet that I put together (based on Dutchman's work) and it agrees well. Thank you cbwx.

cbwx34

Quote from: Willym on November 26, 2021, 10:43:05 PM
I've only just found this thread, and really like the Visual Angle Calculator. It's very easy to see where to input any changes. I compared it to the numbers spreadsheet that I put together (based on Dutchman's work) and it agrees well. Thank you cbwx.

Thanks... glad you found it useful!  :)