News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Why shouldn’t I get the T-2?

Started by OrangeBeachReb, June 03, 2020, 05:19:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OrangeBeachReb

Quote from: Ken S on June 05, 2020, 04:23:35 PM
As I recall, Curtis posted his small platform on facebook. He adapted the knife jig from his T2. I tried this and think it is the best thing going for small platforms. It actually works very well with all Tormek models. It is easily converted back to the T2 knife jig. The problem is cost. When I inquired about cost for the parts, apparently the first request, I was told that they would only be sold as an assembly for around $100US. This is unfortunate, as this would have been a very useful jig for all Tormeks.

I fumble with facebook searches. Chris, I suggest you send Curtis a private message.

Ken

Thanks a ton! 

Ken S

Chris,
My honest opinion is that a T2 would serve you well with conventional chef knives. As you venture into other knives such as curved knives and cleavers, you enter the domain of the T4 and T8. With cleavers, if you want to use the SVM-45, you really need a US-1430 or a VFB from a third party.
Your safest bet would be a T8. I would also feel comfortable with a T4, although some would not.
Ken

OrangeBeachReb

Quote from: Ken S on June 06, 2020, 02:58:20 AM
Chris,
My honest opinion is that a T2 would serve you well with conventional chef knives. As you venture into other knives such as curved knives and cleavers, you enter the domain of the T4 and T8. With cleavers, if you want to use the SVM-45, you really need a US-1430 or a VFB from a third party.
Your safest bet would be a T8. I would also feel comfortable with a T4, although some would not.

Ken

Sorry, but I'm confused.  I thought the T4 was a smaller, and thus, pretty much the same as a T8.  I know what a SVM-45 is but I've searched what a US-1430 is and cannot find what that is.  Also, is a VFB the same as what Tormek calls their universal support?  Finally, I only have one cleaver, so, if I do that freehand and/or with my Spyderco then I'm fine with that.  I rarely use it.

Having said all that, I'm now wondering if I need to get a T8.   :-\

Ken S

Oops....I had a typo. "US-1430" should be US-430. Here is a link to its description from the Tormek website:

https://www.tormek.com/usa/en/spare-parts/other-spare-parts-and-upgrades/us-430-universal-support-extended/

Frankly, with only one cleaver you only use, if it was me, I would just freehand it or use the Spyderco. You can easily spend $100 to $150US in gear for one cleaver. Possible? yes Practical? no.

The US-430 and the FVB from Knife Grinders cross function somewhat, however they are not the same. I would suggest you forget about both for at least a year and concentrate on learning the traditional Tormek knife dharpening technique. I would also postpone all thoughts about any of the computer programs for a year. Some will disagree with me on this. Learn the basics.

Yes, the T4 is essentially a somewhat smaller version of the T8. It is also the very solid prototype on which the T8 is built. If you were looking for a truck, would you choose the full size model with the large V8 engine, club cab, and trailer package? Or, would you choose a smaller truck which would handle your two mile commute to work and cover your occasional hauling needs?

OrangeBeachReb

The biggest difference for a guy that will be sharpening kitchen knives (and may expand to carving one day) between the T4/T8 is the motor and that the T4 can only run 30 minutes an hour where the T8 is continual.  I'm sure there are others but is that basically it or am I missing something major aside from stone size, etc?

RickKrung

AAARGH!  I can hear Ken saying.... :o

That 30 min constraint is for the older model T4, before they changed to the cast zinc body, if I'm recalling things right.  I understand the T4 does NOT currently have that constraint.  I think I've read that Tormek mysteriously has retained the statement about the 30 min. limit in the current version of the manual. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

OrangeBeachReb

Yeah, it's currently on their website saying it's 30/hr.  You don't think that's the case anymore?

RickKrung

Quote from: OrangeBeachReb on June 07, 2020, 07:14:11 PM
Yeah, it's currently on their website saying it's 30/hr.  You don't think that's the case anymore?

That is curious.  I had heard it no longer applied, but if it is on their current website...  ???

Ken... ??? 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

Ken is the only one I know that says the 30min. doesn't apply to the T-4.  I've never seen Tormek support this.  That being said, I haven't seen any issues with the T-4 overheating, and for the home user, I doubt it's an issue.

While there is nothing wrong with "learning the basics"... it's quite frankly, ridiculous advice to tell someone to "wait a year" to use anything else.  Many of the "aftermarket" items (FVB, calculators, etc.) are not replacements for something the Tormek can do, they were created because the stock "basic" setup CAN'T do them, or don't do them well (at all).  But hey, if, for example, you want to learn a year later that the angle you've sharpened on some knives can be several degrees off because you were "using the basics"... by all means, follow his advice. ;)

I'm not sure why Ken decided to "muddy the waters" by suddenly saying "your safest bet would be a T-8"... since he's also said in other posts that he's "never seen anyone buy a T-4, then later decide to "upgrade" to a T-8".  No idea why it's now the "safe" idea...  so maybe he can expand on that.

For a home sharpener, the T-4 is fine.  I haven't seen anything in your posts here or on FB that tells me any different.  That's my .02. :)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

OrangeBeachReb

Quote from: cbwx34 on June 07, 2020, 07:58:19 PM
Ken is the only one I know that says the 30min. doesn't apply to the T-4.  I've never seen Tormek support this.  That being said, I haven't seen any issues with the T-4 overheating, and for the home user, I doubt it's an issue.

While there is nothing wrong with "learning the basics"... it's quite frankly, ridiculous advice to tell someone to "wait a year" to use anything else.  Many of the "aftermarket" items (FVB, calculators, etc.) are not replacements for something the Tormek can do, they were created because the stock "basic" setup CAN'T do them, or don't do them well (at all).  But hey, if, for example, you want to learn a year later that the angle you've sharpened on some knives can be several degrees off because you were "using the basics"... by all means, follow his advice. ;)

I'm not sure why Ken decided to "muddy the waters" by suddenly saying "your safest bet would be a T-8"... since he's also said in other posts that he's "never seen anyone buy a T-4, then later decide to "upgrade" to a T-8".  No idea why it's now the "safe" idea...  so maybe he can expand on that.

For a home sharpener, the T-4 is fine.  I haven't seen anything in your posts here or on FB that tells me any different.  That's my .02. :)

Agree.. that was the first time someone thought a T8 was the better option but I was not clear why... maybe the cleaver?  Anyhow, I'm going with the T4.  What is the thrid party item I should buy?  I saw a guy on YouTube that has a clear "ruler" type thing that seemed to be popular.  It's called an "All In One Angle Tool"..... used with the calculator.  Link: https://youtu.be/mZ8GxV04FOU

cbwx34

Quote from: OrangeBeachReb on June 07, 2020, 08:07:24 PM
Agree.. that was the first time someone thought a T8 was the better option but I was not clear why... maybe the cleaver?  Anyhow, I'm going with the T4.  What is the thrid party item I should buy?  I saw a guy on YouTube that has a clear "ruler" type thing that seemed to be popular.  It's called an "All In One Angle Tool"..... used with the calculator.  Link: https://youtu.be/mZ8GxV04FOU

The Angle Tool is nice, and makes it pretty easy to learn the measuring part.  But, you can also use a caliper, combination square... anything that lets you set the height of the bar with some accuracy. 

There are some recent examples in this thread...
https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=4326.15
...most of this isn't as complicated as it looks. ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on June 07, 2020, 08:39:37 PM
Quote from: OrangeBeachReb on June 07, 2020, 08:07:24 PM
...snip...  I saw a guy on YouTube that has a clear "ruler" type thing that seemed to be popular.  It's called an "All In One Angle Tool"..... used with the calculator.  Link: https://youtu.be/mZ8GxV04FOU

The Angle Tool is nice, and makes it pretty easy to learn the measuring part.  But, you can also use a caliper, combination square... anything that lets you set the height of the bar with some accuracy. 

There are some recent examples in this thread...
https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=4326.15
...most of this isn't as complicated as it looks. ;)

Yes, the Angle Tool is simple and works well.  I ordered one, it arrived broken and an replacement is on its way.  I glued the broken one back together well enough to try it out.  It does what it purports to do and it does it well enough.  If I had not already invested so much in other tooling and wasn't so prone to liking things on the higher precision (whether meaningful or not), it would be an excellent choice and I would use it. 

While checking it out, I also tried the rubber band idea that BobD posted a photo of, which I have cropped and reposted below.

I like the rubber band, which I've tried with my usual USB setting tool, a woodworker's marking gauge, a small adjustable square and a fancy digital caliper (see photos below).  I like the marking gauge best, but it is already part of my routine, so only natural that I'd prefer it.  I've found the rubber band needs to be a relatively thin one, in order to be captured by the small amount of shaft thread that protrudes beyond the locking ring. 

The rubber band solves the primary difficulty I was having with using "direct to the stone" distance setting, and that was ensuring the setting device was inline (parallel) with the axis between the USB bar and the shaft.  The Angle Tool does this quite nicely, but I like the rubber band with my marking gauge better.  It is quite easy and quick to sight along the rubber band and adjust the USB (upward) until the setting tool is parallel. 

Rick

RickKrung

keyboard miss-stroke...