News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Why shouldn’t I get the T-2?

Started by OrangeBeachReb, June 03, 2020, 05:19:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OrangeBeachReb

I've researched so much. YouTube videos, Facebook Tormek group and now this message board.  Very nice people with meaningful advice. Very appreciated.

I'm a home cook and I have a Spyderco system that isn't ideal nor reliable. However, I love a very sharp knife. I've been leaning towards the T-4 but someone on the Facebook group thinks I'd like the T-2 best so I've now researched that one.  I'm very confused but what I've noticed is it's almost impossible to find a t-2 user that can give me feedback. Only people who have tried one or seen one demonstrated. 

The knock against the t-2 is its "single purpose" and it doesn't allow for any user skill or nuance. Additionally, I understand it won't sharpen pocket knives and cleavers. 

I've read so many articles on the t-4 that people have to use apps and they've ruined a lot of knives ghat I'm afraid I'll get frustrated and cause more harm than good.

Any long-term t-2 users who can give a good review and/or thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

John_B

Welcome to the forum.

No T-2 experience here,however, I do have thoughts on this.

Quote from: OrangeBeachReb on June 03, 2020, 05:19:04 AM

I've read so many articles on the t-4 that people have to use apps and they've ruined a lot of knives ghat I'm afraid I'll get frustrated and cause more harm than good.

While apps are available to accurately set the grinding and honing angles they are not required. They are actually a fairly recent development. While it is recommended that your first knife should be an old one that you do not mind if something goes wrong most get good results on their first try. I am not sure how many T-2 owners there are but I do not recall seeing any user posts here. Take a look at the Tormek YouTube site for knife sharpening videos. Also any technique shown for the T-8 can be used on the T-4. Another thought, if you do buy and later decide to sell there will be a much greater market for a T-4 or T-8 as opposed to the T-2.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

Chris,

You are wise to ask before purchasing. I have both a T4 and a T2 and will try to give a fair comparison.

My question for you is are you a sharpener or a cook who appreciates sharp knives? (There is no preferred answer.) The T2 is Tormek's latest model in their specialized machines designed for restaurants. One reason we do not see it as often as the T4 is that the T2 is marketed through restaurant suppliers, generally a different distribution channel than the regular Tormek dealers. The T2 is designed to be used by chefs and restaurant workers with little or no sharpening training. The diamond wheel is used dry. It requires no water. It also requires no truing or grading. There is no abrasive dust from the diamond wheel, and there is a built in magnet to catch most of the steel dust. The knife holding jig is essentially foolproof. The rubber honing wheel is also used dry with no honing compound.

Whether this is "limiting" or "specialized" may depend on your point of view or needs.

The T4 is definitely more versatile. If you plan to sharpen woodworking or woodturning tools, it is the no brainer choice.

Incidentally, the choice is not necessarily "either or".  Within half an hour of unboxing my T2, I had both the diamond wheel and the rubber honing wheel mounted on my T4. Even the water trough from the T4 can be mounted on the T2. (This is in the possible category rather than the practical category.) I would call the two machines fraternal twins.

My gut feeling is that you won't go wrong with either choice. With the T4, you will need to purchase a TT-50 Truing Tool. I believe the price is $93US for it. If you need an SVM-45 Knife Jig, they cost around $40. I highly recommend that you make your choice based on the way you want to use it, rather than any cost difference. If you want very sharp knives for cooking with minimal fuss, the T2 is a very viable contender.

Do not hesitate to ask questions!

Ken

OrangeBeachReb

This is a fantastic answer.  To answer your question- I love to cook 90% and 10% sharpening is therapeutic.  I guess that's my answer.  I have found, with my Spyderco system (however flawed) I do like the hobby side of sharpening.

Unfortunately, I can't justify buying both machines.  I don't see myself sharpening tools as I'm not into woodworking.  I do have some shovels, spades and a chisel I would sharpen if I have the T-4 - just because.  Those would last me over a year due to minimal use.

My concerns with the T4 is I see several people ruining their knives and my issue with the T2 is it cannot sharpen (shockingly) cleavers. 

Im a heavy lean towards the T4.

Again, thanks.

Ken S

Interesting comments, Chris.

Let's look at this one piece at a time. At the risk of sounding low tech, I have always had good luck using a mill file to sharpen shovels and gardening tools. I'm not really a gardener, however, I carried a shovel in my telephone truck for over thirty years.

For one chisel, sharpened (maybe) once a year, some wet and dry sandpaper and a piece of flat glass will more than suffice. (I used this for a couple years, but do not mention this on the forum. I would be branded a heretic.)

Cleavers are a different matter. Until the very recent addition of the US-1430 extended universal support, Tormek did not provide a way to sharpen cleavers using the SVM-45. Using a T4 or T8, cleavers can be held far enough away with either a US-1430 (around $100US) or a Vertical Front Base from Knife Grinders (around $145US). Either way, you are looking at least $100 to be able to sharpen a cleaver with a jig and the T4.

With either the T4 or the T2, a cleaver can be sharpened with a small platform or freehand. Herman Trivileno has described a most workable homemade small platform for the T4 and T2. Curtis Womack has designed a very workable small platform for the T2. Both require some work, but get the job done.

Regular kitchen knives are well sharpened with either the T4 or T2.

We are here to help; don't hesitate to ask questions.

Ken

OrangeBeachReb

Thanks and I'm new here.  Do you work for Tormek?  I guess the way I'm looking at it now is this:

I can't go wrong with a T4 but I could go wrong with a T2 since it's more limited?

Again, thanks for your thoughtfulness.

Ken S

No, I don't work for Tormek. I am long retired from Ma Bell (telephone company).

Glad to help.

Ken

John_B

Quote from: OrangeBeachReb on June 04, 2020, 02:35:15 AM
Thanks and I'm new here.  Do you work for Tormek?  I guess the way I'm looking at it now is this:

I can't go wrong with a T4 but I could go wrong with a T2 since it's more limited?

Many of us have embarked on a quest to obtain sharper and sharper edges on our knives and tools. I think at some point in the past I was happy with the sharpness of a knife out of the box. Now I strive for egges that are far sharper. Last night I used a personal steak knife that I sharpened on my dinner steak. It was a true joy to use and it went through the steak with ease. If you want the versatility to achieve a truly remarkable edge I would urge you to go with the T-4. When I was in the market I wanted a T-4. When I looked at what came with the T-8 and what I would need with the T-4 the prices got very close. I ended up tith the T-8 and I have not regretted my decision.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

John, your points are well taken. In an idealTormek world, I would price all the models the same. For a very long term purchase, the present price differences are really not significant. Ifthe prices were the same, we would focus on our intended uses. Those of us who need to sharpen turning tools, large drill bits, and planer blades would gravitate toward the T8. Woodcarvers, home shop sharpeners, and mobile would lean toward the T4. Cooks and restaurant owners would favor the T2.

If we just knew the future.......

Ken

OrangeBeachReb

Quote from: john.jcb on June 04, 2020, 04:51:06 AM
Quote from: OrangeBeachReb on June 04, 2020, 02:35:15 AM

Many of us have embarked on a quest to obtain sharper and sharper edges on our knives and tools. I think at some point in the past I was happy with the sharpness of a knife out of the box. Now I strive for egges that are far sharper. Last night I used a personal steak knife that I sharpened on my dinner steak. It was a true joy to use and it went through the steak with ease. If you want the versatility to achieve a truly remarkable edge I would urge you to go with the T-4. When I was in the market I wanted a T-4. When I looked at what came with the T-8 and what I would need with the T-4 the prices got very close. I ended up tith the T-8 and I have not regretted my decision.

Interesting.  Same here.... T-4 it is but I'll double check T-8 pricing vs T4.

OrangeBeachReb

Quote from: Ken S on June 04, 2020, 12:35:38 AM
Interesting comments, Chris.

Let's look at this one piece at a time. At the risk of sounding low tech, I have always had good luck using a mill file to sharpen shovels and gardening tools. I'm not really a gardener, however, I carried a shovel in my telephone truck for over thirty years.

For one chisel, sharpened (maybe) once a year, some wet and dry sandpaper and a piece of flat glass will more than suffice. (I used this for a couple years, but do not mention this on the forum. I would be branded a heretic.)

Cleavers are a different matter. Until the very recent addition of the US-1430 extended universal support, Tormek did not provide a way to sharpen cleavers using the SVM-45. Using a T4 or T8, cleavers can be held far enough away with either a US-1430 (around $100US) or a Vertical Front Base from Knife Grinders (around $145US). Either way, you are looking at least $100 to be able to sharpen a cleaver with a jig and the T4.

With either the T4 or the T2, a cleaver can be sharpened with a small platform or freehand. Herman Trivileno has described a most workable homemade small platform for the T4 and T2. Curtis Womack has designed a very workable small platform for the T2. Both require some work, but get the job done.

Regular kitchen knives are well sharpened with either the T4 or T2.

We are here to help; don't hesitate to ask questions.

Ken

Thanks a ton... I see you mentioned Curtis Womack and a T2 platform.... I've seen his name around, googled him and found sharpeningmadeeasy.com.  Nothing on a t2... just making sure that's where i should go.

RickKrung

Quote from: OrangeBeachReb on June 04, 2020, 10:53:31 PM
Thanks a ton... I see you mentioned Curtis Womack and a T2 platform.... I've seen his name around, googled him and found sharpeningmadeeasy.com.  Nothing on a t2... just making sure that's where i should go.

Curtis is "cbwx34" here on the forum. 

I did an "Advanced Search" on his user name and "T2" and it came up empty.  Searched again with the search term "platform" and came up with 30 posts by Curtis mentioning "plaftorm", but nothing about the T2.  T4 yes, a fair bit. 

Ken, perhaps you could post a link to what you were referring to.  I couldn't find it. 

BTW, Chris, if you are interested in the angle setting calculators, Curtis developed on of them, CalcApp.  Click HERE to view one post he made regarding it.  But, he very graciously includes a link in his signature line to Rich Colvin's Sharpening Handbook page about all of the angle calculators.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

As I recall, Curtis posted his small platform on facebook. He adapted the knife jig from his T2. I tried this and think it is the best thing going for small platforms. It actually works very well with all Tormek models. It is easily converted back to the T2 knife jig. The problem is cost. When I inquired about cost for the parts, apparently the first request, I was told that they would only be sold as an assembly for around $100US. This is unfortunate, as this would have been a very useful jig for all Tormeks.

I fumble with facebook searches. Chris, I suggest you send Curtis a private message.

Ken

cbwx34

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Thanks, CB. I still think Tormek is missing out on a very useful jig, and one which they have already incurred most of the design costs to produce.

Ken