News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

thoughts on new Tormek live knife sharpening class

Started by Ken S, April 02, 2020, 04:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I also found the online class useful and informative. I believe the interactive format might be more useful in the future. For the present, I would prefer a more focused, structured format. After a dozen more structured classes, bring on the interactive format.

I look forward to upcoming video classes.

Ken

Sebastien

Hi everyone, Just wanted to let you know that we'll be doing part 2 in our sharpening class today at 15:30 CET. We'll be sharpening scissors and axes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlScXCdisAo&t=2624s

/Sébastien

Ken S

Hi, Sebastien.

I just enjoyed watched the second online class. I found it very informative. As I started to write this reply, I noticed that the link you posted here did not work. Would you please verify that your link is working and edit it if necessary.
I am sure many of our forum members will want to watch this.

I felt you handled the questions more smoothly in this video, a definite plus. These videos have confirmed my belief that the Tormek knowledge base has increased over the years, although it seems that most of that knowledge has remained in Sweden. I am pleased to see that more of this knowledge is being shared globally with the loyal Tormek users.

I will study these two classes and look forward to future classes.

Ken

John_B

Sebastien,

I enjoyed the 2nd demonstration very much.

I think that with questions each topic could of easily been an hour video. Personally I would have like to have various scissors and scissor like garden tools actually demonstrated as I am sure there are subtle differences in the process. Sometimes experts when they do a demonstration will find that what seems like second nature to them is a revelation to the attendee. I also think the axe portion warrants an hour actually showing us how to do all the various configurations. I am sure I can figure these things out when presented with a differently shaped tool but I would feel better if I had seen it done.

One thing I found when I sharpened a number of scissors is that they cut poorly partially because the blades were contaminated with adhesive and tape that had accumulated over the years and that a through cleaning before sharpening went a long way. I also disassemble scissors when I can to clean them and apply a tiny drop of oil where they rub near the screw.

These are worthwhile videos and they are truly appreciated.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

jvh

Hi,

thank you very much for the 2nd part of your Sharpening Class. I really enjoyed it, also because I don't grind scissors and axes very often.

I have one question about scissors deburring:
What is the advantage of your method No. 2 (debburing while scissors closing) against Steve Bottorff method HERE (debburing while scissors opening)?

I look forward to future classes!

jvh

Elden

Having just finishing the new video, thanks to Tormek for the presentation.

Without being critical, I  also wondered about the scissor deburr process. Without mentioning the name of the sharpening system, I received a training video in regard to that system. They utilized the deburring method that Steve B. shows. As I recall, they emphatically said to never close the blades on the burr before doing as Steve demonstrates doing 2 or 3 times.
Elden

Hogdog6

Sebastien

Hi, Thank you for all the comments and feedback. I'm glad you seem to like our new approach with these live sharpening classes. It's really fun to record them and to get interaction with Tormek Users and enthusiasts all over the world.

We had some technical complications yesterday and therefore the link wasn't correct. We had to start over with a different link. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Next episode is planned to air in 2 weeks.

Until then Stay safe everyone.

/ Sébastien

Scotty

Just watched the video of the show.
I learned some interesting thing about SVM45 clamping that I did not know and may have an impact on my differential bevel issue.
The Tormek manual did not address the gap between the top and bottom of the SVM45 should be parallel.
Probably intuitive to some, but was new to me.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world. Marines don't have that problem."
President Ronald Regan

Victor4159

I know I'm being redundant with most posts though I owe a big Thank You to Tormek for offering such a fine video.  Although I'm supposed to be above a "beginner", I wrote 5 notes on items I either forgot or simply didn't know about.  Scotty, neither did I!  I didn't listen to questions regarding the CBN wheels though I can safely say they work exceptionally well when used correctly.  Hell, I have received a lot of advice and equipment from both Tormek and Knife Grinders, never been dissatisfied with either, and find it very rewarding working with such exceptional professionals at both companies. 

Tool Junkie

Sebastien, I really appreciate the class! I am a new T-8 owner and I've watched both classes live, engaged in asking questions (rod wolfy) and plan on watching the one tomorrow morning (6:30 AM, my time).

It would be nice if you guys could continue to have classes once you're done with the basics on a slightly more indepth basis.

For example, I have the hand tool kit and the knife jigs, but I destroyed my wife's Santoku knife over the last couple of weeks practicing on it. The outside roll (Convex) shape of the blade was made concave thru the belly. When I ground near the hilt, it was rubbing on the handle and when grinding near the tip, the handle was hitting the leather wheel. I have reviewed several explanations on the forum; however, a video showing the method would help significantly.

Thanks again for the videos and I look forward to putting a better finish on my chisels and plane blades (please cover making a slighly convex shape on a planer blade, as it helps when doing rough hand planing)!