News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Bevels

Started by Keeping it sharp, January 11, 2020, 11:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keeping it sharp

Hi all,

I have had a request from a client to change a single bevel Japanese knife to a double bevel. I can't find any information on the best way to this. I would appreciate any suggestions/advice. I'm using Tormek T8.
Thanks in advance.

cbwx34

Quote from: Keeping it sharp on January 11, 2020, 11:40:36 PM
Hi all,

I have had a request from a client to change a single bevel Japanese knife to a double bevel. I can't find any information on the best way to this. I would appreciate any suggestions/advice. I'm using Tormek T8.
Thanks in advance.

What type of Japanese knife is it?  A traditional one can't really be converted IMO.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Keeping it sharp

cbwx34

Quote from: Keeping it sharp on January 12, 2020, 01:39:40 AM
kasumi Chefs knife.

I tried to look it up, but didn't find anything helpful.  :(

My .02... if it's a true single bevel, I wouldn't do it.  If it's an asymmetric grind (where one side is ground more or at a different angle), maybe.  Most of the feedback I've read/seen on doing this (converting an asymmetric to a symmetric grind) is the knife doesn't perform well.  A lot of knives that have asymmetric bevels have an overall knife grind / shape that supports it... if that makes sense.

You might journey over to KitchenKnifeForums  ... they have a few good sharpeners and knife users there, that could tell you for sure.  (Or if someone has the knife here, they might have more info).

I would warn your client ahead of time, that it may not come out as expected (and there may be no going back).  Sometimes it's easier to sell the knife you don't like, and get the one you do. :)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Keeping it sharp

Thanks so much, I'll see if the client still wants to go ahead.

Ken S

My knife laboratory is my kitchen. My wife does most of the cooking; I do the chopping.

I am left handed. I purchased an extra santoku knife and ground it with only one bevel on the left side. I like the way it handles. I can make very thin slices. I would suggest you purchase a couple learning knives. Try your 70/30 grind. Use it in your kitchen. I suggest using mid price knives, like Victorinox. You will have good steel which won't break the bank. You can learn a lot by experimenting.

Ken

Keeping it sharp

Dakotapix

I have four Kamikoto single bevel knives in our kitchen and raised a similar question here. In my question it was about using the Tormek to maintain the single bevel. It was recommended in this forum that I not do so. I finally got up the courage to maintain the edge using my Japanese water stones and so far have been reasonably successful. Finding the correct single bevel angle was the hardest part and then removing the resulting burr was a challenge. These knives were gifts, something I never would have bought for myself.

RickKrung

Quote from: Dakotapix on January 13, 2020, 02:24:59 PM
I have four Kamikoto single bevel knives in our kitchen and raised a similar question here. In my question it was about using the Tormek to maintain the single bevel. It was recommended in this forum that I not do so. ...snip...

I am curious about the rationale for not using a Tormek for maintaining single bevels.  I generally look at things like this here, but do not recall this one.  I've sharpened single edge blades and did not find it difficult.  These seem like just very tiny bevels the same as single bevel chisels and plane blades.  What is the difference? 

Can you point me to the thread/discussion where you saw this recommendation to not do it on the Tormek, please? 

I have also sharpened blades that were once single bevel, but through previous sharpenings or misuse of steels, they were no longer single bevel.  Restoring them to single bevel would have been very difficult without thinning also. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Magnus Sundqvist

I would thing it will turn out to be a quite awkward knife if you try to convert it.
Single beveled knives are among the easiest to sharpen by hand with a wet stone.

If however the costumer persist I would measure the angle of the single bevel and apply it to the non-beveled side. Note that the knife will have to be used in a slightly tilted manner in order to cut at least a little bit straight.
This will severely mess up the knife.

I would dissuade the costumer about the conversion and rather go for a sell of the knife and to buy a double beveled knife instead.

Best of luck, stay sharp!

Best regards.
Product Manager at www.sundqvist.se

Dakotapix

Rick — Here's a link to the thread regarding using the Tormek to sharpen single bevel knives:

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3485.msg22032#msg22032

As I reread this thread it was not so cut and dried to not use the Tormek on this knife. I simply chose to go with my water stones because I'm comfortable with them. Since posting this I was gifted three more of the Kamikoto knives and found it simpler to keep a 1000/6000 grift combo water stone in a kitchen drawer rather than go down to my shop to set up the Tormek. Kamikoto has some sharpening videos online but they are brief and don't go into much detail.

Ken S

Quote from: Magnus Sundqvist on January 14, 2020, 10:17:18 AM
I would thing it will turn out to be a quite awkward knife if you try to convert it.
Single beveled knives are among the easiest to sharpen by hand with a wet stone.

If however the costumer persist I would measure the angle of the single bevel and apply it to the non-beveled side. Note that the knife will have to be used in a slightly tilted manner in order to cut at least a little bit straight.
This will severely mess up the knife.

I would dissuade the costumer about the conversion and rather go for a sell of the knife and to buy a double beveled knife instead.

For those of you who are new to the forum, Magnus is a longtime friend of Stig. He is highly trained in knives and knife sharpening. I emailed him and asked if he would comment on this. He is a real asset to the forum and I appreciate his posting.

Ken

Best of luck, stay sharp!

Best regards.

Keeping it sharp

Thanks everyone, I've persuaded the customer to not do it.
All your comments are appreciated.