News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Front Vertical Base

Started by Peter Eaton, November 27, 2019, 02:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Eaton

Having seen many thread regarding FVBs , what is the reason or advantage when using this?

I have thought about making one but obviously if it isn't going to give me an advantage of the CBN / paper wheels I use at present would there be any point? Though I see it would negate the need to use the paper wheels which might be advantage where speed of work is important.

Could someone please give me a bit more information and does any one have any plans please, though I have seen the thread posted just before mine and below.

Just want to see all the alternatives and have the information before I decide to spend time making one.

Finally I was looking a the Tormek  small knife holder but before I buy one are the any alternatives/hacks or home made versions on here?

I am sure I will get both as a gadget whore  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ken S

Peter,

There are other forum members more able to discuss the FVB than I am. However, I do have a comment about the small knife holder and a good homemade option.

I use the small knife holder. I have made it a regular part of my kenjig technique. I also feel it is primarily designed for carving knives with generously sized wooden handles. I have found that pocket knives and other small handled knives can require creativity.

Check "Herman's homemade small platform" on this forum. The small platform, which is the same width  (or slightly more narrow) than the grinding wheel. This allows being able to grind both bevels the entire length without having to reposition the jig. On a practical level this is huge. The small platform is almost as accurate as a jig and much faster.
I made mine by cutting down the larger Torlock platform; Herman used the platform from the scissors jig as a basis. Herman's jig has a lower center of gravity and works better. In my opinion, every serious knife sharpener should have one.

Ken

jvh

Hi Peter,

I take the FVB as an extension to horizontal universal support bar (USB). It offers possibility of grinding wide knives, choppers etc. if the jig projection lenght exceeds ca 150 mm.

In addition, grinding with FVB gives me better control and is more ergonomic for me due its position while grinding away from the edge or honing.

jvh

RichColvin

Peter,

The Tormek small knife holder works well for knives where the blade is centered in the handle (e.g., a carving knife), but less so with folding, multi-blade knives. 

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Peter Eaton

Many thanks for the replies Gents.

Pete

Peter Eaton

Quote from: jvh on November 27, 2019, 11:28:00 PM
Hi Peter,

I take the FVB as an extension to horizontal universal support bar (USB). It offers possibility of grinding wide knives, choppers etc. if the jig projection lenght exceeds ca 150 mm.

In addition, grinding with FVB gives me better control and is more ergonomic for me due its position while grinding away from the edge or honing.

jvh

Could you possibly send me the link please Ken as nothing coming up when I search.

Cheers

Pete

Elden

Elden

RichColvin

Peter,

I have cataloged all those at this site :  http://sharpeninghandbook.info/indexJigs.html

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Peter Eaton

Thanks guys  :) :) :) :)

Ken S

Pete,

I view things like the FVB and the extended universal support are in a slightly different manner than many Tormek users. Like you, I have a tendency to accumulate Tormek gadgets. Since my earliest days using my Tormek, I have always thought outside the box.

The Tormek is well suited for thinking outside the box. Unlike conventional dry grinders, there is no "correct" side of the Tormek. The first major advance in innovation for the Tormek was the universal support bar. Then came the add on horizontal sleeves, adding to the ease of grinding away. Later we had three extended support bars the Tormek Multi Base and the FVB. I have all five of these. All all useful in different ways. I like the extra flexibility they provide.

My preference is probably not the most cost effective path. Not all of my out of the box ideas have worked. Enough have worked to keep my faith. I have come to believe that the main constraint with the Tormek is the imagination of the user.

Ken

Peter Eaton

You hit the nail on the head Ken!

I would imagine most folk who have a Tormek and use it on a regular basis will most likely want to strive for more in the way of learning as quite addictive  :)

More than likely, many are like me and it doesn't end there, for as with everything I do be it making my knives or other things like my hi fi system I always want to learn more.

Thanks for the input.

Pete