News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

EdgeCalc - what's happening on the knife-edge...

Started by jvh, November 08, 2019, 01:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jvh

Hello everyone,

for precise outputs and for an idea what's happening on the knife-edge during grinding I made EdgeCalc - Excel spreadsheet which lets you calculate deviations caused by roundness of grinding wheels. I plan to add this functionality to TormekCalc in the future but this solution is much faster.

EdgeCalc contains drawings with dimensions for better visualization and it will help you if you want to validate used math in formulas. I tried to describe all, but there can be problems with used terminology. If you have better idea please write it here and I will release updated version. Any ideas for improvement are welcome as well as questions.

Table is locked by default (without password), only three green input cells are editable. Feel free to unlock it if you know what you are doing.

Enjoy!

jvh

Note: File is compressed to zip format (forum restriction), you have to unzip it before using.

smurfs

That's excellent work jvh and thank you for providing the maths for deriving the bevel heel and chord angles.

Just one thing though. I don't think it is correct to describe the angle variations that occur along the bevel as 'errors caused by roundness'. To me this terminology suggests the angle calculations are wrong or approximate which is not the case as the maths is precise.

Jan

JVH, thanks for further details from the tip of the blade.

Quote from: smurfs on November 08, 2019, 10:17:47 AM

Just one thing though. I don't think it is correct to describe the angle variations that occur along the bevel as 'errors caused by roundness'. To me this terminology suggests the angle calculations are wrong or approximate which is not the case as the maths is precise.

I fully agree with Smurfs. The term 'errors caused by roundness' is not adequate for our situation. The change of the angle along the hollow grind occurs as a consequence of using a round grinding stone. There is no error in this approach.

Jan

jvh

Quote from: smurfs on November 08, 2019, 10:17:47 AM

That's true, "errors" has been changed to "deviations". Thank you.

Jan

Dear Tormekers, as it is my habit, I have independently checked some of the calculations made by JVH.

I have used a formula derived prof. Verhoeven and I can ensure you that it gives numerically the same angle of the chord as calculated by JVH. I have also successfully verified the real length of the grind.  :)

The angle of the chord is important for practice because this angle we get by angle protractor measurements which "overbridges" the hollow grind.

Just out of curiosity in geometry those angle relations are given by the inscribed angle theorem which is very useful for the wheel geometry.  ;)

Jan