News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Noisy Contact wheel

Started by Morne1312, September 26, 2019, 08:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morne1312

Hi All

I have done a search and could not find any thread on this unless I missed it. My Contact wheel where the motor shaft contacts the rubber is making a lot of squeaky noise while working the machine. it starts of quiet but as I start sharpening it gets louder the more I work with it or put load on the grinding wheel. I tried cleaning it thinking it might have some residue on it butno luck. its probably not that bad for a quick sharpening but after a while it gets very irritating. Anyone else had this issue or maybe have some advise?

Ken S

Morne,

"Not that bad" is also not that good. The standard remedy is roughing up the rubber wheel a bit with sandpaper a bit. Is that what you mean when you say that you cleaned the wheel?

I would suggest that you also regrease the two nylon bushings. Even if it does not help your noise, it is good routine maintenance.

Keep usposted.

Ken

Morne1312

Hi Ken.
No I Just cleaned the wheel by wiping the rubber contact area with a cloth and making sure there is no dust and water on the rubber and that it is clean. I Rea grease the shaft and bushings almost monthly as im very anal about my machine and keep it clean and in pristine condition.

What grit sandpaper would you suggest I use as I don't want to ruin the drive as I see on all the dealer sites that sell tormek here, no one sell the drive gear or reduction drive rubber wheel as they call it as a spare part.

Also im 100% sure that it is not a bush or anything because when I remove the leather wheel attachment I can hear it come from the rubber part where the motor shaft contacts the wheel.

Ken S

Morne,

Here is what the handbook recommends:

"• Freshen the rubber surface by holding an emery cloth or sandpaper towards the wheel while running for some seconds. Start with low pressure so that the wheel does not slip and increase pressure gradually until the rubber surface is gripping. If you stop the grinding wheel from turning the drive shaft should also stop."  (p 163)

Did you notice the grit recommendation?  Neither did I.  :(
I suspect the exact grit size is not critical. As with using the truing tool, I am cautious. I would start with a medium/fine grit around 220. I think the key variable is pressure. Just like with Tormek sharpening, controlled minimal material is the path to success. Start light.

In fairness to Torgny Jansson, he wrote the handbook in an era before we were so dependent on computer apps and relied more on mechanical experience and sensual feedback.

If this does not solve the problem, we will keep working on it. You might also want to email support
(support@tormek.se).

Keep us posted.

Ken

n.asaro

In my t7 I had the same problem caused by local detachment of the rubber ring from the plastic disk. I remedied removing the rubber ring and re-gluing it carefully and evenly with contact glue.

Regards,
Nicolò

Ken S

Nicolò,

Interesting solution. Thanks for posting it.

Ken

Morne1312

Hi All.

I tried the suggestions about using some sand paper on the wheel first some fine and then a bit coarser and although it made a bit of a difference it did not solve the problem.

I Then tried the suggestion by Nicolò to remove the rubber part of the wheel. I removed it and cleaned it with some alcohol on the inside as well as on the plastic part where the wheel contacts.

Applied some contact glue and re applied the rubber wheel and PRESTO! Its whisper quiet again!!! Thank you all for the insights. Definitely something to remember.

Ken S

Bravo, Nicolò and Morne!

Thank you for posting both the solution and the successful resolution. In ten years with the forum, this is the first time I recall this problem and resolution. I hope a number of us will remember this in the event that it might be posted again at some time in the future.

Ken