News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

nut is stuck?

Started by teejay58, September 27, 2019, 08:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Thanks, Stig.

I am starting to think that a stuck EZYlock is like chickenpox, we develop an immunity to it once we have it. (I know, there is no logic in that statement.)

I will keep your one quick movement technique at the ready and keep the Channelocks or other pliers far from my Tormek.

Ken

jeffs55

Sorry, but quick movement of force or slow application of the same force seems to be the same thing. Torque is torque unless we are talking about a long application of same. Components break under pressure greater than their design characteristics. But one or two seconds compared to 15- 20 seconds sure is cutting it close. How long are we talking about here? Seems like the difference between a little pregnant and pregnant to me. Stig did say that it was a one time thing. I call that a coincidence.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

mette

Last week I had the problem: the Easylock was completely stucked. I contacted Tormek who told me to use a hammer LIGHTLY on the easylock-nut. It did not help.

Then I got an idea: I thought that if I could get it warm, it would expand and then loosen.

I warmed the easylock (very gentle, - not to much) with a heat-gun and - it worked :-)
Afterwards it was very easy to loosen the easylock as normal: turn the leatherwheel and the stone in different directions.

That was the trick for me :-)
hope you understand - sorry for my bad english :-(

Ken S

Mette,

Do not apologize for your English. I much prefer a solid idea with iffy English to a so so idea with perfect English.

I have used a heat gun to loosen parts, however, it never occured to me to try it with the EZYlock. Very good thinking!

Ken

ega

I have just installed the upgrade kit and on running the machine for the first time was disappointed to find that I could not undo the EzyLock nut (the name is something of a hostage to fortune).
I am grateful therefore to the posters above for pointing  out the correct, counter-intuitive, technique of grasping the wheel rather than the nut. I did also check the Alan Holtham video and, belatedly, the instructions supplied with the upgrade kit and the problem was solved for the moment at least.
By the way, the nut is not only LH thread but also twin-start, a fact I discovered when looking into making my own.
AH did not deal with the replacement bearings: they seemed rather loose on the spindle but I think they may have closed up a little on being tapped into place and are now a snug fit.

ega

PS: I note from the Handbook (edition 4, p118) that the "special nylon bearings ... are designed to have a radial play of ... 0.004" - 0.008" ".
The reason for this is not given but I think it may be on account of nylon's propensity to absorb water and expand.
There is also a reference to the need for greasing the bearings although this is not mentioned in the instructions with the upgrade kit (MSK-250).

Sebastien

I have had maybe 3-4 cases worldwide where the easylock gets stuck. LIGHTLY tapping on the the easylock is my first recommendation and if this doesn't work the heating it up as Mette suggested works very well.