News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

TormekCalc - calculations in Excel spreadsheet

Started by jvh, March 15, 2019, 11:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jvh

Hello everyone,

for precise grinding I am using TormekCalc - Excel spreadsheet which I made for:

- Height calculation of universal support bar (USB) from defined point on the Tormek housing.
- Height calculation of universal support bar (USB) from the wheel surface.
- Reverse calculation of bevel angle through "marker method".
- Knife database with the ability to load stored data from previous grinding.

Calculation is made for all used wheels (unused wheels can be hidden by column hiding).
Calculation is made for all USB's (vertical, horizontal and frontal).

Help is in comments (sorry for my bad English), drawing with used symbols and dimensions is included.

Table is locked (without password) by default, only input cells are editable. Feel free to unlock it if you know what you are doing. Improvement ideas are welcome.

Credit goes to Ton Nillesen and his book "More math for the Tormek grinder" which inspired and helped me a lot.

Enjoy!

jvh

Note: File is compressed to zip format (forum restriction), you have to unzip it before using.

BobD

Thanks for sharing this, looks like a lot of effort was put into making it. I'm excited to try it out

cbwx34

Took me a bit to get my bearings... but this spreadsheet is slick!

Wow!

Thanks for doing this.

Edit:  One thing I've run across, on the "Bevel Angle" sheet, the first entry for "Wheel Diameter..." has a strange drop down menu that shows up...

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

John_B

Thank you for providing this useful spreadsheet.
I think I might spend some time today building the knife table based on the "X" dimension and bevel angle. My goal will be to have a standard set of "X" and bevel angle for a variety of knives to reduce setup time.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Jan

Jvh, thanks for sharing your TormekCalc - Excel spreadsheet! It is quite sophisticated script.

I have checked the numerical accuracy of your TormekCalc by calculating the height of the USB above Tormek housing and also the distance between the USB and the wheel surface. I can confirm that your results are identical with my results with an accuracy of 0.001 mm.  Congratulations!  :)

Jan

jvh

Quote from: cbwx34Edit:  One thing I've run across, on the "Bevel Angle" sheet, the first entry for "Wheel Diameter..." has a strange drop down menu that shows up...

It looks like a compatibility issue. Do you use MS Excel or other app?

It is dynamic drop down menu which shows wheels from "USB height" sheet in all visible columns. If you hide a column, corresponding wheel is exluded from drop down menu. Excel doesn't provide a function  how to do it directly, therefore auxiliary formulas are used, unfortunately they can be incompatible with other apps.

Here is slightly modified version with static drop down menu, which has limited functionality and always offer all wheels...

Quote from: JanI can confirm that your results are identical with my results with an accuracy of 0.001 mm.  Congratulations!

Thanks for verifying, I really appreciate it.

cbwx34

Quote from: jvh on March 16, 2019, 09:15:27 PM
Quote from: cbwx34Edit:  One thing I've run across, on the "Bevel Angle" sheet, the first entry for "Wheel Diameter..." has a strange drop down menu that shows up...

It looks like a compatibility issue. Do you use MS Excel or other app?

It is dynamic drop down menu which shows wheels from "USB height" sheet in all visible columns. If you hide a column, corresponding wheel is exluded from drop down menu. Excel doesn't provide a function  how to do it directly, therefore auxiliary formulas are used, unfortunately they can be incompatible with other apps.

Here is slightly modified version with static drop down menu, which has limited functionality and always offer all wheels...

I used Excel (but the Office 365 version, if that matters).  The drop down menu to select a knife on the other page works OK.  I haven't unlocked, modified or hidden anything.

If I'm the only one seeing it... no biggie... just thought I'd let you know.  I'll give the new version a shot.

Thanks!

Edit:  Modified version appears to work... thanks!

Viking

John_B

Quote from: cbwx34 on March 16, 2019, 03:01:39 AM
Took me a bit to get my bearings... but this spreadsheet is slick!

Wow!

Thanks for doing this.

Edit:  One thing I've run across, on the "Bevel Angle" sheet, the first entry for "Wheel Diameter..." has a strange drop down menu that shows up...

I see the list of wheels from the USB Height worksheet. I use Office 365.

You might try deleting the file and downloading a fresh copy. Since the workbook is locked I doubt that a cell was inadvertently changed.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

cbwx34

Quote from: john.jcb on March 17, 2019, 09:17:34 PM
I see the list of wheels from the USB Height worksheet. I use Office 365.

You might try deleting the file and downloading a fresh copy. Since the workbook is locked I doubt that a cell was inadvertently changed.

Thanks.  I did try that... and also put a fresh copy on an iPad with Excel... saw the same thing.  (Just lucky that way I guess). :)

No biggie... works fine regardless.