News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Missed Opportunity?

Started by cbwx34, October 17, 2018, 12:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

CB,

Not bad, but certainly not in the same league as Steve Bottorff, Wootz, Jeff Farris, or Alan Holtham. It was shot on the fly at a show, as opposed to in a quiet environmemt. That didn't win any points, but really didn't bother me. I didn't notice any glaring errors, although the knife guy dodged the lift or pivot problem.

What did bother me was that the two guys were obviously demonstrators as opposed to sharpeners. Look at the videos by Steve and Wootz (Knife Grinders). Steve and Wootz are obviously professional sharpeners. In this video, the work pace is more focused and less frantic. I expect more from Tormek.

Ken

cbwx34

So, Tormek announced the T-4 Bushcraft is now a permanent model, and in the announcement linked to the video that I started this thread on.  I noticed though, that there was a question and answer in the comments...

I added the red line and circled the comment from Tormek in red, in what I think he or she meant, but they don't seem to agree.  Am I misinterpreting it?  ???

Edit to add:  Should add that if it is the method of drawing a line tip to heel, etc.... that only works on a limited style of knives, (and basically by coincidence).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

GKC

My guess is that you have not misinterpreted the answer, but that the answer is either or both unintelligible and wrong.  I also find it inconsistent with the instructions given elsewhere (e.g. the manual) by Tormek, which suggest aligning the edge of the jig with the straight portion of the blade and then lifting the handle when you come to the curve so as to keep the same bevel on that portion of the blade.  This does involve placing the jig towards the curve (what the answer somewhat confusingly calls the "middle of the radius of the curved edge").

I asked a question about this to Tormek Support about a month ago and the answer was such a jumble of wrong and fluffy "do what feels right" advice that I asked for clarification, but never heard back. 

I have expressed elsewhere on this forum my surprise that Tormek hasn't nailed this down and developed a coherent and correct procedure for this, even if it must involve some sophistication of jig placement and blade movement.  I don't like a simple-but-wrong instruction, and i don't like the "do what feels right" instruction.  Most of the reliable advice that I have found on this topic has been on this forum, not in the Tormek materials.

Gord

cbwx34

Quote from: GKC on December 15, 2018, 06:34:59 PM
My guess is that you have not misinterpreted the answer, but that the answer is either or both unintelligible and wrong.  I also find it inconsistent with the instructions given elsewhere (e.g. the manual) by Tormek, which suggest aligning the edge of the jig with the straight portion of the blade and then lifting the handle when you come to the curve so as to keep the same bevel on that portion of the blade.  This does involve placing the jig towards the curve (what the answer somewhat confusingly calls the "middle of the radius of the curved edge").

Thanks.  Pretty much what I was thinking.

Quote from: GKC on December 15, 2018, 06:34:59 PM
I asked a question about this to Tormek Support about a month ago and the answer was such a jumble of wrong and fluffy "do what feels right" advice that I asked for clarification, but never heard back. 

I have expressed elsewhere on this forum my surprise that Tormek hasn't nailed this down and developed a coherent and correct procedure for this, even if it must involve some sophistication of jig placement and blade movement.  I don't like a simple-but-wrong instruction, and i don't like the "do what feels right" instruction.  Most of the reliable advice that I have found on this topic has been on this forum, not in the Tormek materials.

Gord

You are not alone in this thought. ::)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)