News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Housing change

Started by JOSU, March 26, 2018, 02:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOSU

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I bought a very nice slightly used square 2000 Tormek but the shipping managed to drop it hard and now the housing and the main shaft are completely bent. Do the parts of the 2000 will fit a t7 housing?

Best

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Josu.

The parts are all compatable, however, I just checked advanced machinery (advmachinery.com), the US parts primary source, and the page for the housing is no longer available. This does not necessarily mean that replacement housings are no longer available. You really should contact Tormek support for their expert and very experienced advice. Their email address is: support@tormek.se    I have found that support's service is outstanding.

Please keep us posted and do not hesitate to ask any questions.

Ken

JOSU

Thanks a lot Ken, I will contact Tormek support, I was willing that maybe someone else have had a similar experience.

Best

SharpenADullWitt

If it was a square frame model (as I suspect), you would probably want to replace the shaft with the newer stainless model with quick release, anyway.
The frame, without seeing, could be taken to a machinist or autobody shop, and possibly straightened, or replaced with a later 2000 or T7 frame, that matched except for paint colors.
The last time I priced a housing, it wasn't considered cost effective.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

JOSU

It's a square 2000, and it's almost new. I wouldn't trust straightening it since it is severlt bent, but if changing the shaft and housing for a t7 goes around the 270ish I'll have an almost new tormek I think is a fair deal. I refuse to put aside a good machine.

Ken S

Josu,

I think the key to success here is patience. SADW is correct about the shaft. A new shaft costs $68 US. You could probably get your shaft straightened and working properly, however, the new stainless steel EZYlock shafts are a real improvement. If I was in your situation, my decision regarding the shaft would depend on the cost of having the shaft accurately straightened. This can be precisely measured. If I could get the shaft accurately straightened for around $20 US, I would have it straightened. If the repair cost was higher than that, I would choose a new shaft.

I think SADW's suggestion of having the frame straightened is worth looking into. I have no idea what the cost might be, however, I would prefer to decide based on an estimate from a person skilled in straightening. Vehicle frames can be straightened. A Tormek frame should not be impossible. What might look impractical or impossible to you or me, might not be a problem to a machinist or auto body shop. Like the shaft, I would want to decide based on cost.

When looking at cost, keep in mind the cost of another used Tormek or a new unit. In pricing a new unit, do not overlook the T4 or the T7. The only real difference between the T4 and the flagship T8 model is the diameter of the grinding wheel, 200mm instead of 250mm. The T4 uses all the same jigs. Even the handbook is the same. I own a T4, as well as a T7 and a T8. I like them all, however, I could be perfectly content with just the T4. You or I will never outgrow it.

I hope you have been able to recover the cost of your damaged Tormek from the shipper.

Support can tell you who handles authorized repairs in your country. You may have other options available from support working with your national agent. Working with support is essential.

Explore your options. Repairing your present Tormek may provide wou with a completely functional unit at a very reasonable cost. You may be able to use your damage claim money to purchase another good used unit. Tormeks have been manufactured for over forty years; used units are not rare. They are usually overpriced, however, they are not rare. A new replacement motor costs over $300 US. You should be able to sell your motor and apply that money toward another unit. And, you always have the option of a new unit. Do not decide in haste.

Between support and the forum, you have a lot of resource people on your side. Do not hesitate to ask questions. You are among friends.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: JOSU on March 27, 2018, 09:26:18 AM
It's a square 2000, and it's almost new. I wouldn't trust straightening it since it is severlt bent, but if changing the shaft and housing for a t7 goes around the 270ish I'll have an almost new tormek I think is a fair deal. I refuse to put aside a good machine.

You might consider posting a picture or two of the housing... someone here might have some ideas on fixing it, (or even if it could be).  No harm trying to fix it, since you're planning on replacing it anyway,... no harm in trying?  Might get you "up and running" faster than waiting for a new frame to come along...
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S