News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Need a finer compound for sharpening business?

Started by Sharpco, October 27, 2017, 11:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

Do you think the PA-70 can't make a sharp enough edge for knife sharpening business?

I wonder why you chose a finer abrasive.(Chromium oxide, Diamond spray....)

wootz

Why not?
Tormek compound works alright for commercial & domestic kitchen knives and alike.
Finer compounds are for high-end folding knives.
Diamond (or CBN) honing pastes and sprays are for hard alloy and ceramic knives.

cbwx34

wootz post brings up a good point...  "Knife Sharpening" has become a multifaceted business... everything from sharpening the typical "high use" knives at a farmer's market, where you sharpen knives of "average" steel that might need cleanup and repairs before giving it a nice working edge, to sharpening high end "safe queens" where the user wants a mirror polish on a knife of high end steel that might see very little use.

So defining what type of sharpening you'll be doing is the first step in deciding what equipment, compounds, etc. you'll need.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

The early recorders (block flutes) and similar instruments we see in museums are generally in pristine condition because the early musicians of the time did not use them. The best instruments were played until they wore out and were discarded.

I have had to reshape the tip on the Swiss Army Tinker which always in my pocket several times. As the blade has worn down with repeated sharpenings, the tip must be reshaped to prevent it from resting outside the knife. It has served me well for many years, but has little resale value due to the worn blade. I sharpen it handheld with the SG wheel and hone it with PA-70.

Ken