News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek is good, but can't thinning. So...

Started by Sharpco, October 24, 2017, 02:47:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan

Some aspects of blade thinning we have discussed last year in the thread https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3120.15

Attached you can find Victorinox guidance for re-shaping their knives. I have found it useful for my considerations.

Jan

cbwx34

Jan... thanks for the link.... shows a better example of the idea.  I was going to do a search yesterday (can't believe it hadn't been brought up before), but ran out of time.  I did do a search this a.m., and found one other instance worth noting... https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2699.msg14444#msg14444 ;)

One quick way of checking to see if a knife needs thinning is to lightly pinch the blade above the sharpened bevel, and slowly drag your fingers down over the bevel and off the edge.  If you feel a 'bump' as you go over the bevel... the majority of the time, thinning (at least behind the edge), will improve cutting performance.

As for the TruHone.... all I can say is, I've owned a TruHone... I no longer own a TruHone.  ;)  It's very limited in what it can do ("hone" is in the name for a reason).

While I respect SteveB's knowledge and advice, I don't think thinning has to be done by a professional.  It's not really that difficult or "exact".  Ken, your variable speed Viel, would be an ideal platform.  A 600g belt leaves a nice finish.  Take a small pocket knife or paring knife, and make a few "thinning" passes on either side, then sharpen as normal.  You might be surprised by the results... especially over time.

Whether a knife "needs" it, depends in part, on the user.  I don't thin my kitchen knives for example, because I don't spend a lot of time in the kitchen.  But I have thinned EDC knives for improved cutting performance, and, as I stated earlier, just to "clean up" a blade.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)