News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

"the weakest link"

Started by Ken S, September 22, 2017, 03:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

This is how my T2 arrived. T2 was all right; I wonder about the delivery person. :)

Ken

jeffs55

What is a T2? Is that half of a T4?
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on September 22, 2017, 03:23:01 AM
...I wonder about the delivery person. :)

Ken

Maybe wootz knows him/her.   ???
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

grepper

I happen know your delivery person Mr. Ken.  He was previously fired from his landscaping job for not being able to comprehend "green side up" when laying sod.

Ken S

To be fair, most of the postal employees and delivery people I have worked with over the years have been very conscientious, able people. Packages are rarely left at the front of the porch where this one was. The regular employees go the extra three steps and set the packages next to the front door, less obvious to passersby and well protected from the weather. (Also right side up)

The large this side up arrows (the opposite side of the box had one, also) just seemed funny to me. What does not seem funny is the way the Tormek box was placed with a slip fit into the outer box. There was no space between the boxes for any protective padding. Fortunately, this package was not damaged. I was not so fortunate when my work station was delivered. I was able to pound out the dent. The work station is fully functional, however, instead of looking like a new purchase, it looks like it had been in a shop environment. In hindsight, I should returned it.

Sorry if I offended your friend, Grepper.  :)

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

I think I also know that person.  I told them to come around to the front and they went around to the back.  Whatever direction you give them, they do the opposite. ::)

Honestly I would be less worried with it setting the wrong direction, then I would watching it go through the lines via the shipper.  Relative worked years ago, sorting and throwing the stuff to the various conveyor belts, so I have heard the stories.
Still planning on one, but the restaurant friends, asked me to order them some stuff (their computer illiterate/don't own one between them, with one "smart phone" exception, that they don't know how to use), and I don't take in the bill until I have it. (dipped into fun money)
This gives me a chance to see your reviews, and decide with stone might actually be better, and also see if you find it useful with serrated knives as well.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

cbwx34

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on September 22, 2017, 04:41:59 PM
...and also see if you find it useful with serrated knives as well.

Serrated knives... on the T-2?  Might be able to do a light touchup on the honing wheel... but practically speaking... I don't think so.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Airplanedoc

I have been pretty lucky overall with my package delivery folks.   For years we had a UPS man who would just knock and let himself in (if we were home) with the large boxes my parents had delivered for their home based business, so my mom would not have to move them herself.   I was on afternoon shift for a couple years and was at the end of the delivery route, and my ups driver gave me his cell number, so I could call and meet up with him along his route and get my high value packages such as computers so they weren't sitting out till after midnight.    If I hadn't met up with him he would stash them in the back yard under the cover of my grill and leave a note stuck to my back patio door.  He would even signed for a couple for me.

I have also dealt with a couple @$$holes, fortunately they were short lived.

Ken S

This topic sheds light on the Tormek position about sharpening serrated knives with the Tormek. See the comment be Stig. It is a long topic, but very informative.

Ken

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2064.75

jeffs55

Quote from: Airplanedoc on September 23, 2017, 12:55:10 AM
   If I hadn't met up with him he would stash them in the back yard under the cover of my grill and leave a note stuck to my back patio door.  He would even signed for a couple for me.

I have also dealt with a couple @$$holes, fortunately they were short lived.
So, he left a note telling you and whomever might break into your house to look under the grill cover? I mean, how many thieves break in through the front door? Just sayin'.................
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Airplanedoc

No, he just left one of those we missed you stickers on the back door, which was a indicator to me that there was a package left.  I already knew where to look, if I found the sticker.  Which was a lot better than a box sitting on the front step  on a busy street until after midnight.

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: cbwx34 on September 22, 2017, 05:20:34 PM
Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on September 22, 2017, 04:41:59 PM
...and also see if you find it useful with serrated knives as well.

Serrated knives... on the T-2?  Might be able to do a light touchup on the honing wheel... but practically speaking... I don't think so.

Most of what you do with a serrated knife, is via the leather wheel (maybe flattening the back on the grinding wheel, which can be done without a jig).  That is where I will be interested to see how the edge of the wheel does.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)