News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

DBS-22

Started by Mike Fairleigh, September 18, 2017, 05:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichColvin

Mike,

You can probably do it by hand with practice,  but a few thoughts come to my mind :

1. How much practice it will take to get such a perfectly ground, 4-facet grind, &
2. How to ensure you keep that skill unless you practice it often.

Yes, the DBS-22 is a bit of $, but I've found it to be excellent at sharpening my bits, and I use drill bits on all manner of woods, as well as mild steel and other metals. 

I will be looking to learn to use a grinder for a tertiary grind and a secondary point angle (see also Joe Mazoff's article at http://www.newmantools.com/machines/drillpoint.html) for larger bits (especially when I'm drilling on the drill press).

I tried putting an SPA on some carbide bits for my sister :  she's a locksmith and uses them for hardened steel.  No feedback yet on that.

I do have to hand sharpen my Forstner bits, but use the Tormek jig for all the twist drills.

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.