News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Lubricating the Mainshaft of a T8.

Started by Stawdust, March 25, 2017, 01:41:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stawdust

As a new T8 owner (not even fired it up yet) I was concerned on receiving my my new machine to see that the nylon bearings appeared to be completely DRY. So the first job was to search for "grease" on the Forum.
However, the various helpful comments posted varied quite a bit in the actual grade advised, with some even pointing out that ANYTHING is better than NOTHING.
As a long-time DIY fiddler, I am the proud owner of a tasteful selection of car, motorcycle and household lubricants, including General Purpose, Lithium and car Water-pump greases, and oils of varying viscosities ranging from standard 5-20W multigrades up to 140 grade extreme pressure gearbox oils. And some spray-on dry lubricants, both PTFE- and Molybdenum-based.
So any advice to whittle the list of options down would be very much appreciated.
My own leaning is towards the Water pump grease, for obvious reasons, but as I believe the ezelock mainshaft is made of stainless steel (?) perhaps the dry-spray moly would tend to "give a more durable coating to both the shaft and the bearing?
Much obliged.

RichColvin

I use white lithium grease.   Works greatly.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Stawdust. I second Rich's recommendation. The handbook recommends " any kind of ball bearing grease". Lithium has served me well.

Keep us posted.

grepper

Super Lube is super for that too.

http://www.super-lube.com/synthetic-multipurpose-grease-ezp-49.html

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-21030-Synthetic-Grease/dp/B06WLQ251B

That Amazon price is way too much.  It's about $3.50 @ Home Depot.

I squirt the stuff like holy water for lots of my lubrication needs!  I'd bathe in it if I could.  It's very hydrophobic so it works well in a Tromekian environment.  It also works well for stuff like hand pruners and odd little lube needs like the ends of garden hose.  Put some all around inside of the hose ends and they screw/unscrew easily, the seals stay supple and it's still there at the end of the year.  I have yet to see it break down and make a disgusting mess.

Not only all that, but it's also food grade so if you get some on your fingers you can just lick them clean.  Rather bland though.  A few spices would help a lot.

jeffs55

.  Rather bland though.  A few spices would help a lot.
[/quote]
Is salt and pepper sufficient? I guess it depends on whether or not you like salt and pepper, doesn't it?
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

grepper

From a culinary perspective, just consider it as the toufu of synthetic grease.  It is completely tasteless and neither adds nor detracts from a dish, but most definitely imparts it's own unique texture.

peterpig

After spending a few hours just trying to take off a baked-caked on wheel I'll be lubricating the shafts at least once every 3 months. And it will be much easier as my old Super-grind is getting a new SS shaft - the T8 has it and the little blue Tormek had it cleaned and lubed just now - lucky bugger as no rust yet - just pitting here and there.
BTW those SS shafts are from Germany or France - they cost about 3 4 Euro's each  . . Here in Sydney they are like $120 PLUS !
1    800343    2    4,96EUR    9,92 EUR
Knurled Nut for Tormek
2    800500    2    33,53EUR    67,06 EUR
Tormek Main Shaft Set MSK-250

Shipping costs net: 44,00 EUR
Total net: 120,98 EUR

With best regards,
Your Dictum Team

For further inquiries:
If you have any questions, please send an Email to info@dictum.com or call us at +49 (991) 9109-902. Hereby, please tell us your internet order number: 7164726.
120 Euros was about 170 Au $ - and if I put one shaft on ebay for $100 . . . . 

Ken S

My initial encounter with the stainless steel EZYlock shaft was when I installed it as an upgrade in my first T7. In my case, the original shaft was stainless. I have since become accostumed to using the EZYlock regularly. Most of the time I remove my grinding wheel as part of cleanup. I leave it off to dry.

Using the spacer in place of the wheel is very important. Without it in place, the shaft will slide out when moving the Tormek. I have made up several spares from odd pieces of plastic pipe.

In my opinion, regreasing the shaft every three months is fine, but overkill. Remembered and actually done annually seems adequate, especially with stainless steel shafts (all shafts since 2006).

Ken

peterpig

"In my opinion, regreasing the shaft every three months is fine, but overkill. Remembered and actually done annually seems adequate, especially with stainless steel shafts (all shafts since 2006)." Yes it is if you are 20 years old ! - But I'm 70 and still working as a locksmith (HAVE TO - or die from boredom !) and also remember - DON'T GIVE THE RUST AN EVEN CHANCE! 

Ken S

In your case, I would change my recommendation to regreasing at least every three months. :)

Don't overlook dumping the water after each session. I suspect more shafts rust from being left wet than from lack of regreasing. Both bad actors are culprits.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

I am also a Superlube user (also found at Harbor Freight), as I have found it also at one of my deals type of stores (damaged freight).  I bought it as it was what Snap-on used in their ratchets, and I have rebuilt a few of those.  I used that, because I had more of it on hand, and it was within reach.
My other preference would have been just regular old white lithium grease, which I believe was what Jeff Farris recommended in the setup video for my old 2000 model.  The grease back then was for two reasons, to help prevent rust on the shaft, and to lubricate the bushings.  Now it is only the latter.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Stawdust

Wow, TEN replies in less than 24 hours, and from all over the world from America to Australia!
Thank you all very much for all your helpful suggestions.
The grade "SUPER LUBE" doesn't seem to have a direct equivalent in the UK - according to the company blurb it had a "micro PTFE" component.
But the next most popular item is ordinary lithium, topped up as often as your nerves can stand it. So, since I have some of that, it's favourite to try first.
Plus special thanks to GREPPER, for this week's Free Gift of Culinary Advice as well. I'm so inspired by this that I'm going to go right out and ask my wife WHY HAVEN'T YOU BEEN USING LITHIUM IN OUR MEALS DURING THE LAST 48 YEARS WE'VE BEEN MARRIED?
(I'll have a fast car with the engine running close by the door......)

grepper

White lithium grease my contain additives and solvents that result in liver and central nervous system damage or worse.  At the very least diarrhea, vomiting and other pleasantries are quite possible, so having an anti-emetic on hand might be handy. 

For culinary adventures, I'd stick with Super Lube or other known, food grade lubricants. 

That gives me an idea of something to enjoy with my morning coffee!  How about warm cinnamon buns drizzled with a Vaseline glaze?  Yum, yum!    :P

Herman Trivilino

Tri-Flo or Slick-50 One-Lube is what Jeff Farris recommended to me. Also, he told me that white lithium is fine, but to be stingy with it.
Origin: Big Bang

Sharpco