News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

lighting for the lathe

Started by Ken S, January 30, 2017, 12:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

For years I have read not to use fluorescent lighting above a lathe because of the flickering light. The new direct wire LED bulbs, which eliminste the need for ballasts and starters, claim to be flicker free. Maybe we should rethink the old advice.

Thoughts?

Ken

RichColvin

Ken,

I use task-oriented lighting on my lathe to get up closer & brighter.  Also, I can aim it where I need it. 

I use CFL or LED bulbs as they don't get hot & are less likely to cause fires with the accumulated wood dust. 

I've not seen an issue with flicker on either.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

highdesertdreams

I saw the FEIT 4' shops light at Costco last year and thought I'd try one.
I can't scientifically quantify why I liked it so much, but I did end up replacing all 10(?) lights in my shop with the FEIT 4' Shop Utility lights.
One hung over every table and tool.
I liked the "instant on" feature and the pleasant bright white light they provided.

I also tried a Costco FEIT 100w 1600 lumen bulb in one of my folding arm type task lights and ended up replacing the bulbs in all my task lights.

I have one 4' shop light and two 100w task lights over my lathe.

No issues with flicker or heat.

Great for most jobs in the shop.

When I REALLY need to see small details I slip on a pair of 1.50 magnifying safety glasses, but that might have to do with old age and deteriorating eye sight rather than the brightness of the LED lights.

Considering Costcos liberal return policy you might want to TRY an LED 100w bulb and/or 4' shop light.
If you like it you can buy more.
If not, you can return it.

Good luck,
Frank

JamesElliott

My wife bought me a Gasmate BBQ light for my BBQ on the patio of our house, and it makes a perfect lathe light.  It is a multiple facet LED light on a long, flexible, spiral-wound stainless-steel goose-neck, for precise positioning of the light.  The base has two strong magnets to anchor it to any steel surface, and a G-clamp to attach it to a wooden bench if no metal is available.  I place the magnetic base on the bed of my lathe and then angle the goose-neck so the light shines into the hollow of my bowl, goblet, or whatever I am hollowing out.  The light is bright, close to my work, and just where I want it to be.

These are available, in Western Australia, in Bunnings Hardware stores.  If you are in another country, I suggest you check out your local BBQ shop and/or big hardware store - you should find something similar in one of them, and they are cheap!

Kind regards,  James.

Ken S

Great suggestion, James.

Is you light battery of plug powered?

Ken

Rob

Yes I just bought one of those Costco plug in jobs this last weekend and have suspended it directly over the bed of the lathe.  I absolutely love it :-)

It's also a cool light temperature so less yellowy than the older neon jobs.  I'm going to buy another for my bench now.  Excellent quality.
Best.    Rob.

SharpenADullWitt

Not sure if there is or would be a problem with the light at the lathe, for amp purposes.
That said, the newer led's while more energy efficient, and providing instant lighting, have another advantage IMHO, that is the led bulbs are more shatter resistant (plastic).
Hopefully nothing ever breaks off while on the lathe, but better safe then sorry.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Hatchcanyon

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on March 01, 2017, 07:10:20 AM

That said, the newer led's while more energy efficient, and providing instant lighting, have another advantage IMHO, that is the led bulbs are more shatter resistant (plastic).

I haven't seen anymore glass housed LEDs within the last 2 years, no matter if they are replacements for bulb types or fluorescent tube types.

The last replacement we made is not for sharpening or woodworking. We hibernate some large oleanders in our basement and the plants need light. The years ago we used special fluorescent tubes (Osram Fluora or similar), now we replaced these with LED with spectral maxima in red and blue. Reduces power consumption by 59% and the plants are looking healthier than before.
German with a second home in the American Southwestern Desert - loves Old England too.