News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Simple jig for drill bit sharpening

Started by Jan, January 06, 2017, 09:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arnman

I know this is a very old topic, but I hope I can get some clarification on Jan's diagram that he posted on January 8, 2017.  His jig looks very clever, and I want to try it out.

Quote from: Jan on January 08, 2017, 04:44:48 PM

From geometrical point of view there are no limits to the drill bit diameter. If you use my method to set clearance angles please keep in mind that the height of the aligning bar has to be equal to the drill bit radius.  ;)

Jan

The 10 degree and 20 degree lines are shown on the edge of the stone.
a) I am interpreting Jan's explanation to mean that the top face of the bar would be at the same line as the top of the drill bit?
b) Does this mean that I would need a different bar thickness for each different diameter of drill bit?
b) Would the zero degree mark pass through the center of the drive shaft, or is zero degrees at the edge of drive shaft?

ega

Jan:

Congratulations on your excellent jig! By not buying the DBS-22 you have easily saved the cost of the MB-100.

I wonder whether you have in mind to develop a side-to-side sliding capability so as to address the stone grooving point and get faster grinding?

Ken S

Sadly, Jan passed away recently. He is much missed. Jan had the very rare combination of intelligence, a fine education, mechanical aptitude, and humanity. Some of his early posts were about restoring his grandfather's large mortise chisel. It was a true labor of love.

Jan's math ability was second to none. His inner mathematician recognized the error factor in my kenjig. His practical side also recognized that this error was insignificant. I was pleased and honored that my friend incorporated some of the kenjig aspects into his personal technique.

Jan gave us a head start in solving some of the problems we continue to encounter. It is up to us to carry the work forward.

Ken

ega

Ken S:

I regret not noticing the age of this thread when posting a question to Jan, a great loss to the forum.

Ken S

Ega,

Jan's passing is a loss to all of us. Through his posts and personal emails, I regarded him as a friend.

No regrets finding this aged thread. One of the strengths of this forum is being able to appreciate and build upon older threads. I often consult older threads. I miss some of my old friends who contributed so much and am grateful that this expertise is still accessible.

Ken

arnman

I was the one that brought the old thread back up to the top.  I am very sorry to hear about Jan.  He was very helpful in helping me to get up and running using the Dutchman formulas for knife sharpening.

I will do some experimenting with his simple drill bit jig to see if I can get satisfactory results.

Ken S

Having known Jan, I would be very surprised if his drill bit jig didn't work very well.
Jan was a good guy.
Ken