News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New tip and cutting edge on a Yaxell 36001

Started by Magnus Sundqvist, August 25, 2016, 05:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnus Sundqvist

Quote from: WolfY on August 27, 2016, 12:02:18 AM
By the way, if I'm not mistaken, this "Made in Japan" is only referring to the steel. There are knifes like this, made in China and costs about $40~50USD on ebay or Aliexpress. I have one and like it very much. They are light and holding the edge pretty nice. HRc should be about 60-62
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=AS_20160826140032&SearchText=xinzuo+8+chef
Although IKEA has nice knifes too and are very cheap. Got them too.
You are quite right. In many cases a Chinese manufacturer buys its steel from Japan. How ever there are big differences in the Japanese manufacturers as well. As a costumer you would have to do your research and find out the process your self.
VG-10 for example can differ quite a lot depending on how it's treated though the process from sheet to finished blade. This is why you can find items that looks the same on paper but in reality can be totally different tools.

In this case, Yaxell, the knife is made in Japan. Yaxell gets their raw steel sheets from Takefu and the factory is in Seki just north of Hanoi.
I've visited the factory and it was really interesting. There were a lot of interesting discussions with their sharpening staff and their sharpening master.
Their handy work is just amazing and their machines looks quite different.
Product Manager at www.sundqvist.se

Magnus Sundqvist

Quote from: Jan on August 27, 2016, 10:23:59 AM
Recently I was sharpening a knife made of Japanese stainless steel VG-10. I have noticed that the magnetically attracted steel fillings were different from fillings obtained by sharpening milder steels.

The gathered fillings derived from the VG-10 steel had granular character compared with the fillings from milder steels which usually form a bulge above the magnet which resembles hedgehog spines. I was wondering if the powder metallurgy could be the reason for it.  :-\

Jan
Now when you say it I've seen it too. Possibly the filings of VG-10 has a tendency to arrange tip to tip more then other softer steel. Can it be the lack of carbon perhaps?

Ken S

Very interesting posts, Magnus.

You have both a T4 and T2. Would you please post about how the polishing wheels differ?

Thanks.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: Magnus Sundqvist on August 31, 2016, 11:09:35 AM
I can provide some more pictures of my corner once it's a bit more organised because right now it's a bit of a mess  :)

A shop is not a mess, when you have no more projects, or no longer use it, IMHE.  It can be organized, but I find for too many of us, life gets in the way, in reality.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

WolfY

Quote from: Magnus Sundqvist on August 31, 2016, 11:19:35 AM
In this case, Yaxell, the knife is made in Japan. Yaxell gets their raw steel sheets from Takefu and the factory is in Seki just north of Hanoi.
It is a really problem to know the real steel quality.  :( I guess only as official importer you are able to get assurance to what you buy. If you have good relationship with the manufacturer.
Giving an advice is easy.
Accepting an advice is good.
Knowing which advice is worth adopting and which not, is a virtue.

Jan

Quote from: Magnus Sundqvist on August 31, 2016, 11:19:35 AM

I've visited the factory and it was really interesting. There were a lot of interesting discussions with their sharpening staff and their sharpening master.
Their handy work is just amazing and their machines looks quite different.

Magnus,

as far as I know Seki is a small town in the middle of Japan which is famous for its production of fine knives like Solingen in Germany. I am wondering why you mention Hanoi, which is the capital of Vietnam?  :-\

Jan

Magnus Sundqvist

Quote from: Jan on September 01, 2016, 09:58:44 AM
Magnus,

as far as I know Seki is a small town in the middle of Japan which is famous for its production of fine knives like Solingen in Germany. I am wondering why you mention Hanoi, which is the capital of Vietnam?  :-\

Jan

Ha! Of course, I guess the ol' brain wasn't with me. Nagoya was the city i referred to.
This is Yaxells factory.
https://www.google.se/maps/@35.4862514,136.9110042,3a,75y,269.09h,84.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sECGTa6GzetjeoK_awiUHMQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Magnus Sundqvist

Quote from: Ken S on August 31, 2016, 04:54:36 PM
Very interesting posts, Magnus.

You have both a T4 and T2. Would you please post about how the polishing wheels differ?

Thanks.

Ken

The polishing wheel is the same on T4 as on T7. The wheel on T2 is like a eraser with tiny particles in the mixture. It makes a similar result, not as shiny but it's quicker. It also leaves quite a bit of dust but it's expected since it's used dry.

Ken S

Thanks, Magnus. The T2 polishing wheel sounds like the eraserlike rust erasers. They are shop essentials. Perhaps the T2 honing wheel is designed to remove the burr and leave just a little tooth on the edge for slicing. Tormek made a similar wheel years ago as an option. The quick release for the honing wheel was introduced at the same time. The other, more coarse honing wheel was discontinued long ago.

I have had good results using valve grinding compound with a separate leather honing wheel. As with the T2 wheel, it cuts faster, but does not equal the Tormek honing compound for polish. I like having a second option. (Valve grinding compound doesn't leave any dust.) The quick release, now standard on the T7 and T8, and available as a spare part for the T4, makes quick work of changing the leather honing wheels.

Ken