News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Re-handling ancient table knife

Started by Jan, May 06, 2016, 03:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan

Elden, thanks for the interesting link.  :)

Your post reminded me my childhood when we were storing butter in a special butter keeper. In the base of the butter keeper's there was water which was sucked by the porous stoneware lid. Permanent water evaporation from the surface of the lid was cooling the butter keeper. The butter was usable for whole month without any refrigeration.  ;)

Jan

P.S.: In physical terminology the water collects the heat of evaporation.

Jan

Quote from: Ken S on May 07, 2016, 08:58:50 PM
My kitchen knife block holds my small assortment of kitchen knives. All but one are top of the line Henckel knives, purchased twenty six years ago when I thought I could cook. The one other knife in the block is a very humble Flint stainless steel six inch utility knife. My father called it his "sandwich knife". It has a well weathered wooden handle. It dates from ca 1950, like me. In recent years  I use it primarily as a letter opener.

I have kept it for sentimental reasons. It reminds me of Jan's knives and also his grandfather's mortise chisel. (I have a few treasured chisels like that.) When doing restoration work, we should remember the customer. Those humble table knives may have a great deal of sentimental value to the current owner. If they do not, the cost efficient choice would be to replace them.

Ken

Ken, I quite resonate with you. :)

When there is a fair chance for everyday/regular use of an ancient tool after its restoration, I am in favour of gently and reversibly made reconstruction, even in the case the object has an antique value.

If it is an art or very old object for exhibition in vitrine than I prefer its simplest possible conservation.

Jan

Jan

Below you can see the re-handled ancient Solingen table knives. For the handle scales I finally used the beech wood, because it was the most similar to the original material.

Jan

Ken S

Nicely and sensitively done, Jan. Beech is an excellent choice, both as a material and a local material. You have added some of both the artist and craftsman in you to these knives.

Ken

Jan

Thanks for your appreciation, Ken.  :)

My final task will be to persuade the customer that the knives are not dishwasher safe.

Jan

Herman Trivilino

Nice craftsmanship, Jan. Have you put a coat of mineral oil on them yet?

Quote from: Jan on May 16, 2016, 02:15:02 PM
My final task will be to persuade the customer that the knives are not dishwasher safe.

Ha ha. These knives are not for the absent minded. Perhaps charging them a hefty fee will convince them more than anything else that they need to treasure them!  ;)
Origin: Big Bang

Jan

Thank you, Herman.  :)

Yes, I have boiled the handles for 3 hours in linseed oil. This procedure is recommended by knife makers to open the pores of the wood and also to lower the viscosity of the dense oil. Now I wait until the boiled oil hardens completely and then I will to wax and polish the handles on a cotton polishing wheel.

Thanks also for the good advice how to convince the customer to take good care of the knives.  I must admit I've fallen in love a little with these old table knives. Will be sad to see them go back to their owners.  :(

Jan

Ken S

Jan,

You have come to experience the value of these knives. That is what matters. Hopefully your excitement will be contagious.

Good work!

Ken