News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

BGM-100 mounted to 8" bench grinder, can I use the truing tool?

Started by Erich Wise, April 20, 2016, 12:51:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erich Wise

Hello,

So I've got a Metabo DS-200 8" bench grinder at work. I bought the BGM-100 for it. I was going to get the tool rest and the Geiger truing tool, but the Tormek truing tool is over the usable size for the Geiger. So I am curious, can I use the truing tool from Tormek to true up the grinding wheels on this bench grinder?

I really like the idea of Geiger's kit for truing up the grinder, but I cant think of a good solution that includes the BGM-100.

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

Ken S

I used to use a single point diamond with my dry grinder. Recently I switched to an inexpensive T dresser. The BGM was designed for preliminary grinding. Others may have different thoughts.

Ken

Jan

Erich, it is not recommend to use the Tormek Truing and Dressing Tool on a bench grinder.

Jan

Ken S

I agree with Jan. I would get an inexpensive diamond T dresser.

Ken

Erich Wise

Thank you for your reply!

I thought that would be the case. I do want to use something other then the hand held "T" dresser as they don't make the wheel perfectly round. But then again, after reading up on CBN wheels, I might just replace the wheels in the shop with those and be done with it.

Thanks!

Ken S

Erich,

What does Metabo, the manufacturer, recommend? Dressing the wheel for a BGM-100 should be the same as dressing the wheel for regular use as a dry grinder.

Ken

Erich Wise

It is the same, except Tormek has a very generous tool rest size. Because of this, if using the Geiger dressing and trueing tool, the rest is a bit too large. Otherwise yes, you are correct, it is the same.

Ken S

Erich,

I am puzzled. Keep in mind that I have never seen a Metabo grinder or a Geiger dressing and truing tool. That said, the universal support and platform of the BGM-100 are very easily removed and should not be in the way when you are truing the wheel.  Am I missing something?

Ken

Erich Wise

Yes, the Geiger truing tool uses the rest as a guide. using just the bar would make it dangerous and also be useless as the angle wouldn't be constant. Though it is a non issue as I will be getting CBN wheels. My work is tied to the State and CBN wheel represent a better value to tax payers in the long run.

Ken S

Erich,

Please keep us posted with your thoughts and observations with the CBN wheels. Although we practice the ancient work of sharpening, we are forward looking.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Well I think things have pretty well been covered.

For future reference, a lot of the out of round, IMHE can be attributed to lower quality grinders, or bearings going bad and the shafts wobbling.
Also, the Tormek sells replacement diamond tips for their grader.  That tells me where the problem would be, would be the adhesive or mounting of the diamond, not the hardness of the diamond against the abrasive itself.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

I agree with your statement about causes for out of roundness.

With the diamond "problem", I'm not sure. Diamonds do wear. I like my DMT flat plate. It does a nice job flattening water and India stones. It will flatten silicon carbide stones, too, but not without taking heavy casualties.  Mine took a lot of premature wear. If I used it more often, I would order a replacement.

At one point, I thought I had accidentally destroyed the diamond on my TT-50 by allowing it to run dry. I had also neglected to lock the jig onto the universal support, something I won't do again! It made a terrible noise and the wheel looked ugly. I even ordered a new TT-50. A day later, thinking I had nothing to lose, I calmly tried using the TT-50. It worked fine.

Based on my own experience, I believe operator error and using the harder blackstone can contribute to the wear of the diamond. I don'd see this as a problem, just part of the nature of the beast.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

I agree that it will wears.  My thoughts are more that the additional heat and centrifugal force of the faster wheel, will transfer the heat to the physical/replaceable mounting of the stone, breaking it first. (where diamond grinder sharpeners, have the diamonds faced on a forged, not replaceable part)
I think the TT-50 is engineered towards the Tormek, not a speed grinder.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

SADW,

I have no idea if the TT-50 will work with a higher speed dry grinder. Personally, I think using a Norton 3X wheel (wet) with a Tormek is a better choice than using the BGM-100 unless someone does not have a Tormek. A simple twelve dollar dressing stick will keep the wheel in good condition. I have posted this procedure.

I found the 3X wheels reshaped very well for low cost. In hindsight, I wish I had used an 80 grit CBN wheel wet with the Tormek. I would do that if I did a lot of heavy reshaping.

Ken

Erich Wise

Ken,

You think getting an 80 grit CBN wheel and using it on the Tormek is a reasonable grinding and shaping method? Or were you just saying that it would be a better option then the 3X wheels?