News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

a new Tormek sharpening study

Started by Ken S, April 14, 2016, 11:59:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

For me, knife sharpening begins with restoring a proper bevel with the Tormek. I have used both the traditional Tormek (vertical) grinding into the edge and the (horizontal) grinding away from the edge methods. Both are sanctioned in the handbook. Recently, I have come to prefer the horizontal method. Grinding speed is less important to me than control. I feel I have more control with the horizontal method. (I learned this from Steve Bottorff, so I make no claim to originating the method.) I will begin with fresh Tormeked edges.

This test makes no pretense of scientific completeness. The limited samples will be my own kitchen knives. I will use the knives as I usually do with no attempt to give equal work to each knife. In this respect, the use is "luck of the draw". Bad science, but hopefully useful to sharpeners.

Each of the knives will be assigned to a designated maintenance procedure. The first posted readings will be before and after Tormek sharpening.  I hope the tune up procedure will be weekly. A couple knives will be regularly polished with the Tormek leather honing wheel. A couple will see my ceramic steel weekly. A couple will be touched up weekly with a Sharp pad. I will make BESS readings both before and after each maintenance session.The purpose of the test is to get an idea of how the edges fare between Tormek sharpenings and if any of the three methods might significently prolong the time between retormeking. I will post regular results in this thread. My goal is to be objective and "scientific" within the crude limits of the test. Comments are welcome.

Ken

brettgrant99

I look forward to the reports.

Brett

Rob

Are you sure you want to go down this path Ken?  The trouble is you're honest and I have a nasty suspicion you'll quickly discover that (excluding dented edges) a few swipes with a decent ceramic steel on an already sharp knife is all that's needed.

This is a Tormek promotional environment after all!

I use Global knives and since I bought a ceramic I've not needed to grind them once (3 years next Christmas). Sharp "enough" for me is to able to slice tomatoes properly.

I would only apply this thinking to kitchen knives, not those that work much harder like carving/hunting/fishing.

For those with a sharpening "hobby" then that might be insufficient but personally my priority is to slice vegetables well rather than spend time sharpening

I will be interested in your results and perhaps should refrain from pre-judging :-)
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Rob,

That thought occurred to me. I feel I have not fully mastered any of the three techniques. This seems both a learning opportunity and a chance to develop my skills.

I have no predetermined results and will make every attempt to be fair minded.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Rob on May 14, 2016, 10:34:13 AM
For those with a sharpening "hobby" then that might be insufficient but personally my priority is to slice vegetables well rather than spend time sharpening.

I think this depends on the type of hobbyist, Rob. I know some people become obsessed with their hobbies and do them just for the sake of doing them. I've never been that kind of a hobbyist. I enjoy my hobbies, but primarily for what they produce.

I'm always on the lookout for tools that can be sharpened, but then the real joy comes in using those tools when they're properly sharpened. And the sense of accomplishment that comes with that.

Origin: Big Bang