News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Hello and first problems....

Started by Stefano, February 15, 2016, 06:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stefano

Hello from a newbie.
Hi from Italy, I bought a tormek t7 for my woodturning tools last week. Yesterday I spent 6 hours to grind my "destroyed" oval skew chisel grinded in the past with wrong machines.  After that it was difficult to have a sharp edge of the chisel because even if I was using the stone grader to rebuild the abrasive qualities, the wheel didn't grind the steel of the tip. I'm doing something wrong? Someone could help me?

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Stefano.

Have you watched the Tormek woodturning DVD? In my opinion it is Tormek's best training video. You can also find parts of it online.

Best,

Ken

Stefano

Thank you Ken S. Yes I've watched the DVD. But I think the oval skew chisel is the most difficult tool to sharpen with the tormek system, as posted by other members in this forum. I'm thinking to use the tt50 truing tool to redress the probable glazed grind stone.

Ken S

Stefano,

I am coming to believe that the TT-50 is a most essential accessory. It keeps the grinding wheel true and cutting at full efficiency.

With your skew chisel, if you are doing more than resharpening a slightly dull edge, you are getting into reshaping. You will want your grinding wheel in top condition for this. True your wheel. When you notice that your wheel is no longer cutting as well when graded coarse, use the TT-50 again, removing only enough material to refresh the wheel. Expect reshaping to require both a clean wheel and some time.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Stefano on February 16, 2016, 06:31:56 AM
I'm thinking to use the tt50 truing tool to redress the probable glazed grind stone.

Don't be afraid to push really hard on the grindstone with the coarse side of the stone grader. Use the corner of the stone grader at times to really cut into the grindstone. Other Tormek users have reported the same problem you describe. Their solution has been to use the BGM-100 Bench Grinder Mounting Set or a belt grinder (lanisher) system to remove lots of steel fast when reshaping a HSS tool.

Origin: Big Bang

Stefano

I'm happy to join your community!!!
And happy to have such answers to my problem. First of all I'll redress my stone to understand if it is the problem...
Thank you again....

Ken S

Stefano,

One of the things I like about this forim is that we can express differing opinions respectfully and politely.

I agree with Herman about the use of the stone grader. I have doubts about using a dry grinder or belt grinder. (For the record, I happen to have both.) Both of them reintroduce the very real possibility of overheating, dust and sparks.

Admittedly, both remove steel more quickly than the slower wet wheel of the Tormek. Slower can mean more controlled. I have posted my experiences using Norton 3X grinding wheels wet with the Tormek. These increase speed while maintaining the Tormek's cool and dust free environment.

The other factor to consider is cost. If you routinely reshape tools, a more efficient option may be cost effective. If you occasionally need to restore abused turning tools, using the regular Tormek grinding wheel, kept well dressed and true, may be your most cost effective option. Once you have a tool properly shaped, only quick resharpening should be necessary. You need to ask yourself how many tools do you need to reshape. A good belt grinding set up for   turning might cost $500US. A BGM-100, dry grinder, and proper grinding wheels (Grinders do not come with them.) could cost almost that much.

I suggest you complete work on your skew with the Tormek and SG250 grinding wheel. Dress and grade the wheel often, whenever you notice it cutting less well. Keep track of the time involved. Compare this time with how you value your time. If you are a highly paid busy professional, it may be worth your while to invest in other sharpening equipment. If the sharpening time involved would let you earn less than the cost of the extra equipment, just use your Tormek. You will end up with a well sharpened tool, even if it requires more time.

Another sensible option if you want a different profile on your tool is to just purchase another with that profile.

There is no one answer fits all situations. Keep in mind that these thoughts are only my opinions. Read all the opinions and make your own decision.

Ken

Stefano

Thank you ken S. Fortunately I don't reshape my tools. Reshape the oval skew was due to my previous useless  grinder. I was thinking that when sharpening that tool with the tormek, there were not the typical sound coming from the wheel. Thus,  this probably is the problem: the grind stone need to be regrind.
I'm a teacher and I don't have  free time  this week, so when I will use again it, I will let you know if there will be a happy end!
Stefano.

Stefano

;)  :D
It works, it works it works!!!!
Thanks to all your answers!!!
Today I have redressed the stone with the TT-50 and grinded al my chisel very fast!!!

Ken S

Herman Trivilino

When the grindstone gets glazed over with steel particles it performs very poorly. The coarse side of the grindstone should be sufficient to restore it. Using the truing tool puts the grindstone in super-coarse state.
Origin: Big Bang

Stefano

Rob

I seem to recall posting in this thread.....have I been moderated (censored) and if so please tell me why?
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

No censoring by the Western Hemisphere Branch of Tormek Security. :)

Please repost.......

Ken

Rob

Must just be getting old...memory not what it was :-)  Now what was my name again.....
Best.    Rob.