News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Old SA-250 project.

Started by Tjarand, February 01, 2016, 10:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjarand

New to the forum and to Tormek.
Just picked up an old SA-250 that need some work. The stone and polishing disk are almost as new, but the machine has been standing idle for years. The motor seemed seized at first, but after lubricating the motor shaft it spins like new. However it need hand spinning to start once the stone and polishing disk is mounted. No sparks or burning smell, so I assume the motor is good. The capacitor is from 1984 according to the date code and with years of hibernation I guess that should be replaced anyways.
Where can I find one with the threaded lug on it? I have lots of caps without, but duct taping it seems below the Tormek quality.

Also the drive wheels rubber surface is badly cracked so it skips and jumps. The wheel has 6 screws attaching the polishing disk. Can I use the R23 replacement wheel and still use the old disk? Diameter is on spec. The R23 has 3 screw holes but I was hoping they would align to the old disk.

Jan

Welcome to the forum Tjarand!  :)

Your diagnosis is correct, the capacitor probably needs replacement. Only the capacity and voltage of the capacitor are important, not the model/manufacturer. The capacity needs to match (must not be higher), while the voltage may be higher (must not be lower). The power of a motor running without a capacitor is lower.

Good luck!

Jan

Ken S

Welcome to the forum. Your veteran Tormek sounds interesting.

i suspect your best bet is to email Tormek support in Sweden. support@tormek.se

Good luck, and let us know how things work out!

Ken

Elden

Welcome Tjarand.
Before replacing the drive wheel, you might try holding some coarse sandpaper against the rubber as it is rotating. If the cracks are very wide, this probably won't help. It is worth trying it, however. It might smooth it out so that it won't skip and jump as much. In regard to the replacement wheel, you might need to contact Tormek support.
support@tormek.se
Elden

Tjarand

Thank you for the warm welcome :-)

The drive wheels cracks are so big the motor axle falls in to them so I think it will need replacing. I will contact Tormek by email to figure out the drive wheel replacement issue. I live in Norway so spare parts won't take forever ;-)

Tjarand

New capacitor in and it spins like new. I'm also replacing the drive wheel and polishing wheel so now it's ready for another 30 years  ;D

Rob

Welcome...you should check out Herman's refurbishment thread...its a cracker
Best.    Rob.