News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Thoughts on the new gouge jig.

Started by Ken S, February 01, 2016, 05:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I have not had a chance yet to hold or work with the new (available later this month) gouge jig. Based on what I have read, it seems to be substantially improved in several ways. I have personally experienced the difficulties it remedies. I did not care for the clamp on the older model. I found the swing adjustment adequate, but a little difficult to use. I had trouble with the lower sleeve being a constraint with the T4. These difficulties are now corrected.

I bought the gouge jig, as well as most of the other jigs several years ago with the belief that the Swedish Krona would appreciate faster than the US dollar and prices would rise. This has actually occurred, however, in hindsight, I would recommend buying the jigs and accessories you actually need. When the time arrives when you actually need a particular jig, an updated model may be available.

If you examine the historical development of the  Tormek, many innovations have been added.

Ken

Jan

Ken, in my opinion, for a T7 user the major improvement is the increase of maximum tool width from 25 mm to 36 mm.  :)

Jan

Ken S

Good point, Jan. My largest turning tool is a half inch (12mm) bowl gouge. I guess some might require larger tools. Better to have the extra capacity.

Ken

Rob

This is news to me....I'm all ears!  I've just reviewed the pdf on the Tormek site and its looks a marked improvement.  The one area where I have a complaint ironically isn't with wide gouges, it's exactly the opposite ie 1/4" and sometimes 3/8" depending on the flute.

I find with the 1/4" that the little disc clamp arrangement often wont grip the tool so this new gizmo might be just the ticket though it doesn't mention that this new design is aimed at that problem.  Do you think it might help?

I use the Tormek for all my bowl gouges because it takes very little metal off and is easy to do a repeat grind and get them ultra sharp (once the profile is established).  Where I've stopped using it is on the detail spindle gouges ie those 1/4" tools because of the faff getting the SVD 185 to grip.  I think you can remove the little rubber t piece but then you would need to restore it to then do my favourite 1/2" deep fluted gouge.  So I've strayed onto another tool for the detail gouges but that's not ideal because the shank often bumps into the motor housing and in any event, their elliptical grinding jig is licensed under patent from Tormek so it has the same problem!!

If this 186 solves that problem I'd be a very happy man :-)
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Rob,

I just forwarded an email to you. It's a jig announcement from a dealer with good info on the  new 186 jig.

If I was an active turner, the newjig would be a must have item. Please post your impressions.

Ken

Rob

Hi Ken

I've posted in the other thread.  I am looking forward to eyeballing it when it gets here I must say :-)
Best.    Rob.