News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

an old handbook

Started by Ken S, January 22, 2016, 12:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

As much as I appreciate vintage Tormeks, in a working shop I would opt for a newer model, although a low price would at least tempt me.......

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Certainly, if it were local, at a low price, I would be over it for a couple of reasons:
1.  Wanted to do a manual water wheel for years and it takes up less space then the yard art ones I see.
2.  My understanding is the stone changed at some point between that one, and the 2000 model.  I would love to try the stone.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Based on the old handbook, the original Tormek grinding wheels were natural and had a finer grit. The change was to man made stones. For a while, both were available.

The manmade stones have a coarser grit. They cut faster. They may have more cocsistent grit size and are probably less expensive. The stone grader using the fine ide converted the man made stones to the natural stone grit. Clever.

Ken