News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

a very recent correction to mt T4 review

Started by Ken S, January 31, 2016, 09:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

In my review of the T4 I conceded that the T7 might be be a better choice for turners. This was because the lower sleeve interfered with full motion of the SVD-185 Gouge jig. At the time I thought this was unfortunate. The T4 seemed an ideal match for today's smaller lathes.

I can modify my opinion now. I received an email today from Advanced Machinery announcing a new SVD-186 gouge jig. The new jig includes a redesigned shorter lower sleeve to make it more compatable with the T3 and T4.

I therefore retract my statement recommending the T7 for woodturning. Granted, the SG-250 is 50 mm thick compared with the 40mm thickness of ths SG-200. I actually reshapen a turning gouge with the T4 using a 25mm thick Norton 3x wheel and the old jig. The combination was not ideal, but certainly adequate. The new 186 jig seems a real improvement.

Either Tormek now works with turning tools.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Thank you.
Saw the number change, but couldn't see what the explanation was.  Now wondering if there is another upgrade kit.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

SADW,

Good question. I don't know, but I will try to find out.

Ken

Ken S

SADW,

I checked with Stig. The new gouge jig is really a major redesign. The only common part is the locking knob. An upgrade kit would not be practical. For a turner, I think the new jig is a huge advance.

Ken