News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

an old handbook

Started by Ken S, January 22, 2016, 12:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

For some time I have wanted an early edition of the handbook. I have wanted to learn Torgny Jansson's thoughts on using the Tormek before most of the jigs were added. Earlier this week I found an older edition of the handbook for sale online.

The handbook was packaged with an old SVH-60 straight edge grinding jig (predecessor of the current SE-76 jig). The handbook itself is yellow and has sixty eight pages. The title is Whetstone Grinding of Edge Tools, by Torgny Jansson. The latest model Tormek included is the Supergrind 2000. At the time, the Tormek was available with either a manmade or natural stone. The manmade stone was more coarse. The stone grader made the manmade stone have the same grit as the natural stone.

The universal support bar had only vertical sleeves, although the grinder could be used with either incoming or trailing wheel.

A parts diagram is included for the Supergrind 1002, the model which used an electric drill for power. (wow!)

The original Supergrind 2000 had a 250 watt motor. Today's T7 has a 200 watt motor, which I am sure is more than adequate.

Scrapers were sharpened with the universal support, as the tool rest jig was not yet introduced.

I find the old handbook fascinating, and will share more of it from time to time. I am also looking for even older handbooks.

Ken

Ken S

Double wow!, Mark. (grepper).

That is an old Tormek! It seems to even predate the present two sleeve universal support design.

I gather Torgny was the designer of the DBS-22 drill bit jig. What an innovative mind for so many years. I would love to know  his  thoughts in the early days.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

That belongs in a museum!
Origin: Big Bang

grepper

I can only imagine its history.  No doubt it was somebody's dream machine when it was new!  The patina is simply outstanding.   

Ken S

How old is my "new" handbook? I can't find a publication year or edition number. However,

It features the Supergrind 2000. I thought the 2000 might indicate the year of the model, but now I am not sure. The SVS-40 Gouge Jig is described. It the history tab of tormek.com, 1996 shows the newer gouge jig. (This may be a misprint.) The Multijig (1998) is not included in the book.

The older SVM-100 long knife jig is shown. As an aside, The present SVM-140 was initially available in Europe. The first US dealer to carry it was our own Steve Bottorff.

Grinding wheels were available in both manmade and natural stone. I find it fascinating that the initial sales pitch for the stone grader was to give the  new manmade stone as fine a surface as the original natural stone-- clever.

One reason for my interest in old Tormek instructions is that I have found that not all tools work well with the jigs. The majority do, but very small tools do not fit well and are more easily sharpened handheld. By necessity the pre jig material would focus more on hand held.

I will post more as I learn more.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

No copyright date inside the cover?
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Only the copyright symbol, no year.

I tried using the bar code app with the bar code on the back cover of the book. It brought up a picture of a later edition showing a T7 with a SE-76. No help, the mystery remains.

Ken

Ken S

Possible clues to the age of the book:

The Supergrind 2000 shown is square. It has only vertical universal support sleeves. No mention is made of adding the kit for horizontal sleeves. No mention of "Tormek 2000", the later name.

Ken

grepper

Hey!  Here's another one of those ST-250's only minus the nifty patina of the other one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tormek-ST-250-Free-Standing-Water-Grindstone-Sharpener-/272111867179

And, if you want to start a Tormek museum, or if you want to go off-grid attach some foot pedals, or live near a running stream so you could attach it to a water wheel, or get some poor horse to walk endlessly around in circles, it's currently available.

Apparently Tormeks never die!

Jan

Thanks for sharing, well photo documented exemplar.  :)

Jan

Ken S

Elden

I wonder if that unit is OSHA compliant?!  :o
   It appears that the tool holder is not readily removed from the support bar?
Elden

Herman Trivilino

I reckon that's less than a 2 hour drive from Robin's shop. I wonder if he'd be interested.
Origin: Big Bang

grepper

I would think the likelihood of very many of these, especially ones without extra special patina, available for sale probably is now or very soon will become extremely rare.