News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Shim stock and magical search term

Started by grepper, January 14, 2016, 05:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grepper

Not Tormek, but it's a little quiet around here and maybe somebody will find this useful and save some time.

The compound slide on my metal lathe has about ~.002 vertical slop in a v-way and ~.004 runout in the screw that I've been meaning to deal with.  The way to fix this is with very fine shims. 

Ever try to find a small amount of shim stock?  A lot of searching around results in web sites with pictures of satellites and giant jet engines with the only option being to "Contact our engineering staff for a quote", or minimum orders of 5,000 washers or 10' of stock for $268.00, or some Chinese manufacturer on Alibaba saying they can supply you with 500,000 units per week.  That kind of stuff.  Or even sites that require that you buy 70 shims of the same size for $35.00.  For me, even that would be a lifetime + supply and what if you want several different sizes?

I found it oddly difficult to find various types of shims in small quantities.

<End rant>

Then it dawned on me:  Suffix searches with "hobby".  Like: ".001 shim hobby".  It ends up the word "hobby" is the magical search word for finding small quantities of all kinds of stuff.

So, if you ever need small quantities shims, check these out:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-shims/=10o760i

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BRT4CG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

jeffs55

What about automotive feeler gauges? Real cheap and assorted sizes.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

grepper

In some circumstances that's a really good idea!  It becomes an issue if you want material other than steel, or multiples of the same size.

Ken S

grepper,

Have you checked with Reid Supply (reidsupply.com)? I have been a very small customer there for twenty years. They are located in Muskegon, Michigan and have a large, useful catalog.

Starrett makes twelve inch (300mm) feeler gages. They are 12" x 1/2". I am going from memory as my wife and grandchildren are still sleeping. I picked up odd pieces years ago. I will check thicknesses later and PM you. If any of it works, I will mail it to you. It is probably the onlt part of a machine shop which will ship for just a stamp.

Let me know.

Ken

jeffs55

You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

grepper

Rob

Not so much for the tolerances you need but my goto material for shim stock is cut up aluminium beer cans :-)
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Good tip, Rob. I'll be sure to add beer to my next grocery list. :)

Ken

grepper

Beer cans are pretty thin.  Food cans are thicker.  Get a bunch of different cans, mic each one. and you can get a variety of different thickness shims cheap!