News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Long knives & cleavers jig

Started by Jan, October 13, 2015, 04:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan

Jimmy asked me for more pictures of my implementation of Wootz's "Homemade honing jig & cleaver support". http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2583.0

I decided to start a new thread for the new pictures and also for those previously posted.

Here are the images of my implementation of Wootz's jig. As you can see, I follow in his footsteps. I only replaced his wooden block carrying the auxiliary vertical sleeves by a steel profile. The dimensions of the steel profile are 1 3/8 " x 2 1/8 " x 6 3/8 ".

Into the front side of the profile I drilled four holes with a diameter of 4.2 mm (11/64 ") and provided them with M5 thread for screws which hold the auxiliary vertical sleeves (additional Tormek Horizontal Base) of this jig.

Into the back side of the profile I drilled two holes with a diameter of 12 mm (1/2 "). Two M12 threated rods of the length 6 1/2 " anchor the steel profile into the sleeves of the T7 Horizontal Base.

The jig works fine with long knives and also with wide cleavers, the one shown is 3" wide.

Jan

SharpenADullWitt

Is the steel a hollow tube steel, or a solid block? (basically wondering why the nuts, if solid steel, I wouldn't think you would need them if you tapped it)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Jan

It is not a solid block, it is a hollow steel profile.

Jan

Ken S

Tournevis

Quote from: Jan on October 13, 2015, 04:25:52 PM

Here are the images of my implementation of Wootz's jig. As you can see, I follow in his footsteps. I only replaced his wooden block carrying the auxiliary vertical sleeves by a steel profile. The dimensions of the steel profile are 1 3/8 " x 2 1/8 " x 6 3/8 ".

Into the front side of the profile I drilled four holes with a diameter of 4.2 mm (11/64 ") and provided them with M5 thread for screws which hold the auxiliary vertical sleeves (additional Tormek Horizontal Base) of this jig.

Into the back side of the profile I drilled two holes with a diameter of 12 mm (1/2 "). Two M12 threated rods of the length 6 1/2 " anchor the steel profile into the sleeves of the T7 Horizontal Base.

The jig works fine with long knives and also with wide cleavers, the one shown is 3" wide.

Jan

Brilliant Jan,
Could you please post us a Build of Material table with all dimension in Metric system if possible ? Because I have have some difficulty to read and switch from Imperial system to Metric system. About the steel profile, is it standard from market or home made from steel sheet ?
Bravo

Jimmy R Jørgensen

Many thanks Jan. Now i got something to work on, and work with. A really good setup, picutres and explanation. Keep up the good work.
If it's not broken, DON'T fix it.

Jan

Quote from: Tournevis on October 14, 2015, 09:29:32 AM

Brilliant Jan,
Could you please post us a Build of Material table with all dimension in Metric system if possible ? Because I have have some difficulty to read and switch from Imperial system to Metric system. About the steel profile, is it standard from market or home made from steel sheet ?
Bravo

Thank you, Sheang, you are welcome!  :)
Sorry for prioritizing users of the imperial system. My apology goes especially to you in France, which was the cradle of the Système International d'Unités.

The material table in metric system is following:
1.    Hollow steel profile 35 x 55 x 162 mm, mat. thickness 2 mm
2.   Two threated rods M12 x 165 mm
3.   Four nuts M12 with washers
4.   One low nut M12 as a micro adjust
5.   Base for universal support and four screws M5 x 16 mm with washers (BGM – 100)

Ad 1) I used steel profile, which I got for free at a local hardware store. Don't search after the same profile cross-section, it is not important.
I cut the maximum length (162 mm), which fits with the T7 housing. My intention was to have enough place for future optional mounting of the universal support base closer to the grinding wheel.

Ad 2) This length of the threated rods will enable to sharpen 10 cm (4") wide cleavers. This is enough for the largest Chinese choppers I sharpened.

Jan

Tournevis

Quote from: Jan on October 14, 2015, 12:52:00 PM
Thank you, Sheang, you are welcome!  :)
Sorry for prioritizing users of the imperial system. My apology goes especially to you in France, which was the cradle of the Système International d'Unités.

The material table in metric system is following:
1.    Hollow steel profile 35 x 55 x 162 mm, mat. thickness 2 mm
2.   Two threated rods M12 x 165 mm
3.   Four nuts M12 with washers
4.   One low nut M12 as a micro adjust
5.   Base for universal support and four screws M5 x 16 mm with washers (BGM – 100)

Ad 1) I used steel profile, which I got for free at a local hardware store. Don't search after the same profile cross-section, it is not important.
I cut the maximum length (162 mm), which fits with the T7 housing. My intention was to have enough place for future optional mounting of the universal support base closer to the grinding wheel.

Ad 2) This length of the threated rods will enable to sharpen 10 cm (4") wide cleavers. This is enough for the largest Chinese choppers I sharpened.

Jan
Many thanks,
I will check if the 162 mm wide will fit to my T4.

Jan

Sheang, check it carefully!
T4 is in all dimensions smaller then T7. I did not test the jig with the T4. Good luck.  :)

Jan

Jimmy R Jørgensen

So getting the ideers from you guys. and the having the possibilities at work i made my own.. Not all done. it needs surface electric galvanizing (i also have that possibility at work)
First go.. what do you think.. i also spared the Tormek erhh holder thingy, and made that from some hinges

Herman Trivilino

Very nice fabrication, Jimmy.

Can you figure out how to make one of these that will clamp onto the scissors jig base instead of having to use screws?

http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1592.msg6634#msg6634
Origin: Big Bang

Jimmy R Jørgensen

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on October 16, 2015, 05:43:55 PM
Very nice fabrication, Jimmy.

Can you figure out how to make one of these that will clamp onto the scissors jig base instead of having to use screws?

http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1592.msg6634#msg6634

Just very quick and of top of my head would something like this work.. just a Version 2 of your own and i other fabric (If this is what i think you mean)

The read thing is linke the one on my contracption

in fabric like this: (Not sure what is it called, or the right one is i can't remember :D

Jan

Nice piece of locksmith work, Jimmy!  :)

You are a man of action. Yesterday you have asked for details and today is the work done. Congrats!

This jig (support) may be for the T4 even more important than for the T7, because the narrower T4 is more restricted in grinding away from the edge than the wider T7.

Jan

WolfY

Quote from: Jan on October 13, 2015, 04:25:52 PM
Jimmy asked me for more pictures of my implementation of Wootz's "Homemade honing jig & cleaver support". http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2583.0

I decided to start a new thread for the new pictures and also for those previously posted.

Jan

Love this idea. VERY CLEAVER.
Giving an advice is easy.
Accepting an advice is good.
Knowing which advice is worth adopting and which not, is a virtue.

Ken S

Seeing this makes me regret not having purchased a Tormek OWC-1 adaptor when I was at Hartville Hardware a week ago. Two holes drilled, some 14mm threaded rod and four bolts, combined with my BGM-100 kit would have made a fine cleaver holder.

Ken