News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Started by Stickan, October 02, 2015, 12:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stickan

Hi,
Tormek welcome's Ken S as a new moderator.
His long time membership and his eagerness to learn more about sharpening and Tormek will benefit the forum in a even more positive way.

Sincerely,
Stig

Ken S

Thanks for the kind words, Stig.

I have never had the pleasure of meeting the forum's originator and first moderator, Jeff Farris. In his unassuming and good humored way, Jeff brought a wealth of knowledge and experience to this forum. Jeff was also very enthusiastic about the Tormek. While I share that enthusiasm, my knowledge is a small fraction of Jeff's.

I am not discouraged. While we no longer have such a learned moderator, we have a wealthof experience in our members. I find this exciting!

We also have another previously not much utilized resource, "Sweden". By that I mean Tormek's support department headed by Stig. I have not been shy about requesting help from Sweden in the past. I will continue to do so.

I encourage you all to post.

Ken

Dakotapix

Congratulations, Ken. Your enthusiasm for the Tormek system has been very apparent over the years. You're correct about Jeff Farris too. I bought my old green 2000 directly from him after watching him demo the machine at a woodworking show in Minnesota about 18 years ago.

When can we expect your first video on preparing barbecue ribs or other culinary efforts? ;)

Jan

Congratulations Ken, to receiving special authority to control the tone of discussion and to enforce the rules on this forum.  :)

Jan

Ken S

Thanks, Dakotapix. What a nice way to have purchased your Tormek! I still remember purchasing my first Tormek at Hartville Hardware in 2009. It is a nice place to shop, but the shopping cart was a poor substitute for such a dynamic salesman!

Thank you, also, Jan. I should give a brief summary of how I interpret "the rules":

Herman stated my feelings very well when he said we are guests of the Tormek Company on this forum. A good guest is well behaved and respectful of the host. One neither criticizes the host or the host's neighbors (competitors) Socially acceptable language is expected. A good guest will also tactfully inform the host if the soup is not hot.

I feel that way about the forum and Tormek. We are a considerate lot and are able to disagree politely. I do not like criticism of either Tormek or its competitors. I do believe in honest constructive criticism. I believe in the Tormek products, which is not the same thing as stating that they are perfected right out of the first box. The machines and many of the jigs and accessories have been through several improved versions. I expect this to continue, and consider it to Tormek's credit.

I may respectfully differ with some of our members in that I believe products which do not compete directly with Tormek and are beneficial to the forum and Tormek usage should be included on the forum. Reason, both in selection and amount, should prevail.

I do not like spam anymore than anyone else, and will stop it when I find it.

I expect to be treated with courtesy and will extend that same courtesy to any member whose posts are a bit questionable.

In case of doubt, I will consult with Sweden, and anything I decide may be overridden by Sweden.

I have enjoyed learning words not in my dialect of midwestern English. I believe it is important for us to recognize that many of our members have English as a second language, so those delightful idioms should be explained.

I think we have done a commendable job of policing ourselves over the years and look forward to continuing that.

Keep posting,

Ken

OnealWoodworking

Quote from: Ken S on October 02, 2015, 07:56:43 PM

I may respectfully differ with some of our members in that I believe products which do not compete directly with Tormek and are beneficial to the forum and Tormek usage should be included on the forum. Reason, both in selection and amount, should prevail.

That confused the heck out of me.  :-\

Are you saying that I should NOT talk about using my Grizzly Dry Grinder to quickly iron the dents out before moving on to the Tormek for real 'sharpening' or are you saying that I 'should' talk about the Grizzly???

Ken S

Sorry if I was confusing. No, I did not mean to imply that dry grinding was off limits. Sweden realizes that the Tormek is primarily designed for sharpening rather than shaping. The purpose of the BGM-100 is to adapt the control of the Tormek jigs to dry grinders. As such, I consider posts about using your dry grinder Tormek related and beneficial. I would much rather read a post about quickly ironing out the dents with your Grizzley dry grinder than read a lament about spending several hours of frustration trying to do that with the Tormek. Just emphasize the operation- information instead of infomercial.

I have occasionally recommended products by other manufacturers which I believe would benefit the forum. I support innovation.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Excellent choice, Stig. Congratulations, Ken. I know you'll be up to the task.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Thanks, Herman. A moderator is only as good as the members. I feel fortunate to have such an exciting (and polite) group!

Ken